Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering Orchids on Vacation

Posted by gardenscents 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 17:16

Here is what my husband concocted to keep my orchids hydrated while we are gone a couple of weeks.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/gardenscents/orchidwaterer.jpg

Here is Snow ballet in full bloom. Unfortunately she is rampant with mealy bugs this year. Too warm? Too humid? It stays 75% humidity in that room with the number of plants in there.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/gardenscents/100_3250.jpg

In the back is a white dendrobium that has bloomed continously for years and years and is finally putting out so many kikis that I think she dying. But she's given up about 20 new plants!

Enjoy!

RuthAnne in SC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering Orchids on Vacation

• Posted by bob8 z5 NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 18:29

When I grew under lights, we would go away twice a year for 2 weeks. We just watered the heck out of them the day before we left and then turned off all but one light per tray. Then as soon as we got back, we watered them thoroughly. Most of the plants faired just fine. What I'd be worried about if I were you would be the mealybugs. Keep that plant far away from the rest and try to get that under control before leaving. At the very least I'd be spraying the heck out of that plant as well as the surrounding plants with horticultural oil mixed with water.

o

I agree about the mealy bugs. I have been spraying them and battling them all winter! I put a night blooming jasmine outside to freeze because it was covered. For now things are ok but I'm sure I'll have some work to do when I come home. My friend took the large Snow Ballet home and I told her to cut off the flowers and spray. I'll spray again when I come home. So frustrating. I let off an insecticide bomb with all the plants inside at the beginning of the winter too!

Thanks for the advice! I can always use advice as I'm always learning.

o

• Posted by bgian New York (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 18:55

wow that snow ballet is amazing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here