Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marianasays

Moving Apartments with Budding Orchids

marianasays
9 years ago

Hello!

I just created an account on this website and I am hoping that you all can help me with your orchid wisdom. :)

I've had the good fortune of having 8 orchids (6 phals, 2 dancing ladies) grow spikes this year (yay!). They are all starting to show little buds and I expect that they will bloom in the next couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, I have to move apartments in the next week or so. Talk about bad timing... The new apartment is only a couple miles away from the old one and I can move the orchids in my car. So here are my questions:

1. Moving isn't ideal and it's pretty cold where I live. Should I be concerned that the 5-10 minutes in the outside cold is going to lead to damage? Should I put the plants in a closed box? Or maybe a large tupperware container? I'm not sure which one is worse - being in a dark box without air circulation for 15-20 minutes, or being exposed to winter temps for 5-10 minutes.

2. The new apartment has different exposure than my current apartment. Right now all of the orchids are near a large southwest-facing window. My options in the new apartment are southeast or northeast exposures. I'm worried that the plants will react poorly to the changes in light and will drop all of their buds. :/ Any insights on which windows to choose and how to minimize the damage?

Thank you so much for any help!!

PS: I also need to accommodate a large fiddle leaf fig and two medium-sized aralias, which will also be interesting...

Comments (2)