Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting Stanhopea to bloom?

Posted by ms_minnamouse 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 19:05

I can't get my Stanhopea to rebloom. I've actually never been able to get it to bloom. I don't even remember which species of Stanhopea it is anymore.

It's in a basket with coconut chips and dyna-rocks. I have it on a rack over a tray of pebbles with water for humidity. It gets light from a South facing window. A Phalenopsis and Epidendrum made due with this amount of light. As far as I know, Stanhopea doesn't need a bunch of light.

In the warmer months, it goes outside for more light but not direct.

I usually use 18-18-18 diluted fertilizer on it but have switched to a bloom formula. I can't remember the #'s though off hand. I think it's Miracle Grow bloom formula. I was able to get my phal to finally open it's buds with it.

I also add iron chelate, epsom salt and Superthrive, although not every time.

? What am I doing wrong? How do I get it to bloom? It would be nice to finally see some flowers..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting Stanhopea to bloom?

I will caveat this with I haven't grown stanhopea so I can only speak from a brief 20 second internet search but according to my sources it appears stanhopea can have a range of light requirements depending on the species. Most do need phal-ish light. But I found a few species who that seem to need more than that.

I'm in z7 as well and even my phals get some direct sunlight during the summer. Assuming its large enough to bloom, I think you need to increase your light.

Hopefully someone with more experience in this genus will chime in.

This post was edited by terpguy on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 21:02

o
RE: Getting Stanhopea to bloom?

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 1:29

I'll ask the dumb question. Is the plant in a basket where the emerging buds can make their way through the potting material.
In the link are pictures of Stanhopea grown as garden plants here in Sydney, Australia. I can assure you that Phalaenopsis would not survive a year in that spot which gets some morning sun but has protection from the worst of the hot afternoon sun.
Average Temperatures
Summer Min 17C Max 27C
Winter Min 7C Max 17C
Extremes 42C High
Low 2C
No snow ever.
Maybe you have to vary your inside out routine a bit and take your plant outside a little bit earlier in the spring and bring it inside a bit later in Autumn.
Widely grown around here as a garden plant by non orchid growers.
Humidity, sometimes it is other times it isn't, depends if the wind is coming in from the pacific ocean or blowing from the interior of the continent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stanhopea & relations pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here