Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_robinson7916287

Repot questions (Phal. Sogo Yudikian v3)

Nick Robinson
9 years ago

So today I got a massive Phal. Sogo Yukidian v3 (correct spelling, title wrong) without any flowers for $20 at my local flower shop. its HUGE. They had the same kind in bloom the window for $75. Spikes were at LEAST 3 feet. it was unreal

I took it out to repot it, cut a few root tips off that were rotting, but all in all it was in pretty good shape. I decided to use the same size pot 5.5-6 inch because the original pot was all sphagnum and it was PACKED in there... I seriously spent like 10 minutes picking it out. I gave it a nice loose growing medium, and although the pot is just slightly smaller, I think it should be okay with the root trimmings and the new airy media. (comparison in the picture below

What do you guys think? Did I do a good job? This is basically my first orchid, and serious repot. I got a tiny rescue orchid the other day, which I made a topic about. I went to the flower shop to get some succulents, and asked if they had any out of bloom orchids they could sell me for cheap ($20 isnt that cheap but its a very mature plant and I caved in) I dont think i completely got all the roots covered with the media because there were so many crevices, but im going to fill it more after it settles after a few waters. I have it in a bright north window now. My only other option is my south window, but i dont wanna risk sun damage.

Any information and comments would be appreciated. Check out the pot comparison, root photos, and repot

This post was edited by AnIsleAteHer on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 19:21

Comments (3)