Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thedogsll

Mini orchid question

thedogsLL
9 years ago

I picked up a tiny, really pretty phal at Home Depot this morning. It's got two spikes and about a dozen buds still to open between the two. My question is, is the tiny size genetic, or only because it's young? It's okay either way, I'm just wondering how big I can expect it to get.

LynnT

Comments (9)

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

I'm glad you've asked that question. I don't have an answer but I have a miniature orchid that I got before Christmas and the flowers are now finishing their bloom.

What now?

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Hard to say because there are some species Phalaenopsis that have miniature flowers. If you had a name tag someone could track back through the generations and tell you if will stay miniature.

Here is a link that might be useful: AOS Phalaenopsis Notes

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

I got one from home depot too! and i was there yesterday and they have since went down to less than $5 dollars.

I might go back and get another one.

I think that they are supposed to stay small.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Yes, they are genetically small, bred that way.

Please check out ArthurM link on Phals to learn their requirements. The treatment is the same whether small or large.

Jane

• thedogsLL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Jane, I don't know if you remember me from a year or so ago (you are a major source of help on this forum, to many people!), but you were a tremendous help when I rescued that first orchid. I have managed to stick to only the three regular sized, and they are all spiking! I bought the mini because it was all I had room for.

Arthur, being from Home Depot, it only had the just add ice tag. No, I don't intend to put ice anywhere near any of them!

I'm not sure it warrants a lot of work/research on anyone's part. I'll hope it's genetic, and make room if it isn't. :)

LynnT

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

That looks like it may a "Go Tris" to me, if so it will grow to at least 10-15" from leaf tip to leaf tip.

My experience has been that they are forced to bloom small and they end up a regular size after a year or so.

Good luck,

Bob

• emily78
    9 years ago

Not sure, but I would guess you may not know until the next leaf grows. I bought small, inexpensive phals last valentine's, and each leaf is larger than the last. It's my healthiest plant now with the largest leaves. Unfortunately no spike this year, due to my lack of lighting.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

Thank you for the information. Even though the flowers are now gone, a new leaf is starting. It seems like it will remain as small as all the other leaves.

Here it is when it still had blooms. The yellow one in the front of the picture.

{{gwi:2118729}}

This is after I cut the stem.

{{gwi:2118730}}

The largest leaf is about 5-6 inches.

This post was edited by murraysmom on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 22:35

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Its beautiful! Yes I do remember you and you've become quite an 'expert.' Congrats!!

Don't worry about how its bred, the treatment is the same. You've had good sucess with you regular Phals (spikes are your trophies) so don't do anything different with the mini.

I'm sure you are making sure it is not sitting in water and the pot is draining well. If the flowers are finished, cut off the spikes and if you see signs of new root growth, repot it in some fresh mix. Otherwise, wait until you are closer to Spring.

A new leaf is good news.

Jane