Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Better to buy a young orchid and let it acclimate?

Posted by bgian New York (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 20:27

Hi everyone! I am deciding between buying a den that I really wanted, a larger more expensive plant in spike now, or buying a younger NBS plant. Have you found you have better success overall of growth/rebloom if you buy the plant young and let it acclimate to your conditions? (I'm just windowsill growing)
Thank you for your opinions....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Better to buy a young orchid and let it acclimate?

I do not think plants acclimate to your/my conditions, they can do well or just sulk or even worse, die.
You might decide that if you pay $8 to $10 for a small plant it will be worth waiting say 3 years to see a bloom.
Then there is the choice of buying clones or seedlings? I buy a lot of seedlings, sometimes you are lucky, other times the blooms are just so so and other times the plants just grow and never bloom.
Sorry, orchid growing is a bit of a lottery, have a look at my latest post over on the gallery where there are two seedlings, one clone and one freebie that no one wanted for evidence of the lottery bit.
Why did I buy the clone? Because I like green flowered Cattleyas.
I'd suggest you buy the larger in spike plant...in a year or two you might be able to divide it, sell half and then the notional cost is nil.

o
RE: Better to buy a young orchid and let it acclimate?

My advice, when asked, is to buy the largest plant you can afford. A strong, healthy, mature plant will have a better chance of getting used to new conditions than a younger plant. I seldom buy 'genetic' seedlings as you really don't know what you are getting unless you see the flowers. If I do buy seedlings, I'd get at least 5 of them, keep the best when they bloom and push the others off on silent auction, regular auctions etc.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here