Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olyagrove

Central Florida Cymbidiums

olyagrove
16 years ago

Some of my cymbidiums are in bloom....A few more are in spike...All the plants here have been in my yard for at least a year or two, so I can fully claim them as being warm toleant (no ice cubes or any other special effort ...spent the year outside and tolerated hot and humid summers, and the first two bloomed last year)

I was going to post on the gallery side, but it is glitching on me...And since I have typed it all up already, it is a shame to waste the effort...I am sure some of you might be interested in seeing warm tolerant cymbidiums, so here it goes on the Discussion side :)

Cymbidium Yellow Cascade

I adore this plant...When it is in full bloom, I stop and stare at it every time I am outside...Loaded with beautiful flowers, and has not failed to bloom for me yet...Very warm tolerant!

{{gwi:141942}}

You can tell I really like cymbidiums (as there are a whole lot of them in the background :))

{{gwi:141943}}

{{gwi:141944}}

Cymbidium Sarah Jean 'Ice Cascade'

{{gwi:141945}}

{{gwi:141946}}

{{gwi:141947}}

Cymbidium Devon Wine "Burgundy"

I have grown this one since a seedlings.. I was not anticipating a spike this season and was pleasantly surprised, as the plant is still small...I am very happy with the colors (especially since most warm tolerant cymbidiums seem to be yellow, brown or green)

{{gwi:141948}}

{{gwi:141950}}

{{gwi:141953}}

Thanks for looking at my cymbidiums :)

Olya

Comments (12)

• pcan-z9
    16 years ago

They are just beautiful Oyla!! Thank you for posting these, they give me hope for mine!

Oh, BTW, the gallery has been off-line all day. Other gallery forums seem to be working fine tho. Just another glitch I hope. Also 'search' is pulling up threads, but everything opens with the "Whoops!"......
    Pat........

• xmpraedicta
    16 years ago

Yellow cascade is marvelous, just marvelous. What a beautiful pale yellow and gorgeous display!

• highjack
    16 years ago

I actually prefer this type of essay with pics on this side because more people will see it, enjoy it and learn from it.

Thanks olya, great growing.

Brooke

• Sheila
    16 years ago

They are gorgeous Olya! Where did you purchase your beauties? Are they fragrant? Warmth tolerant cyms are on the top of my shopping list for the WOC.

Sheila :)

• susanblooms1
    16 years ago

These are awesome! The more I see the cascading variety, the more I think it is a great idea. No need to stake.

Susan

• ray_ratliff
    16 years ago

Olya, you have me wanting a couple of these guys! I am definitely going to look for them the W.O.C.! Tell me; are all 3 of your plants warm tolerant? I live in South Florida so it is generally warmer than you guys are in the winter. I have always loved Cymbidiums but have never found any that are really warm tolerant enough for my area (considering that it seems like most U.S. based growers only grow the cool growing types).

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, Olya, please tell me a bit more about this one: " Cymbidium Devon Wine "Burgundy"

I have grown this one since a seedlings"

it is absolutely georgeous.. how long have you been grwoing it? and what size would the mature plant be? thanks.

sue

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you!

Sheila, I bought Cascade Yellow at Lowes - found it about 3 years ago on a discount shelf. It is fragrant - nice honey/floral fragrance...

Sue, Devon Wine came from Hatfield Orchids - when I bought it, it was small, one mature pseudobulb and one new growth. The plant is now (about 1.5 - 2 years later) in a 6 inch pot. Still, a very small plant..I guess, it is a miniature, so should probably stay fairly compact
    Sarh Sarah Jean came from Hatfield Orchids too, but was a bigger, about Near Blooming Size

For a size comparison, I took some pictures a few minutes ago...Yellow Cascade is big...I guess, roughly a 12 inch pot

{{gwi:141955}}

{{gwi:141957}}

{{gwi:141959}}

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

thanks, that is really helpful. I will have to find a canadian source. another one on my wish list!!
    sue

• haxuan
    16 years ago

Olya, may I ask how warm is it in your area? I'm in vietnam and you know it, the weather is more than 'warm'. I wonder if any of these can be grown in warm regions of Vietnam. I have a few NOID cyms, common for Vietnam. I also brought back, from the US, some cyms I was given for free. I keep all these in my "cool" garden (temperature from 60-80 year round). I wonder if this temperature is 'cool' or 'warm' in your comparision.
    Asl, could you share some tips in growing cyms.
    Many thanks for your advice.

Xuan

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Xuan, it gets hot in Florida...
    Here is some info on the climate:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/EH105
    For 6 months of the year temperatures can be above 90°F (32.2°C) and relative humidity can be 50% or higher

Summers are hot, with about 90 temps for months...Winters are mild, and less humid. We get maybe one or two below freezing nights, and occasional cold fronts with temps in 30-40 range...Otherwise, 50-55 at night is common throughout the winter monthds

I grow all my cymbidiums in clay pots. I use either aged cow manure (Black Kow brand) with pebbles and lots of perlite added, or make a coconut husk mix. I mix coconut fiber, big chunks of coconut husk, large perlite, medium charcoal, and pebbles/gravel. I have been happy with the mix and get nice roots in it.

Lots of morning sun and bright light throughout the day. I try to avoid afternoon sun, as I noticed that plants receiving strong afternoon light in summer grew well but did not flower in the winter. I moved a few plants to a more sheltered location (from the afternoon sun) and both plants have spiked and did not abort the spikes this winter. Both are opening their flowers now :)

Hope this helps! Good luck with your cymbidiums...They are gorgeous plants
    Olya

• suef213
    16 years ago

a friend of mine in the bay area change her cymbidium mix, she planted almost all 100 cymb plants in miracle grow soil mixed w/small size bark & leave them outside all year round receiving morning sun. almost all her cymbidiums are very healthy & have at least 3-4 spikes, they are so georgeous. i'm planning to do the same thing & hopefully it works. has anyone tried this? suefca

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz