Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mycoman420

orchid seed propagation

mycoman420
9 years ago

is their a place to get certian typs of micorizal fungi for propagating trestial orchid from seed mainly caylpso bulbosa or cypripedium fasciculatum

i know their is plating medium but the types of orchids i would like to grow do not seem to make it past the photo chrome stage
i would like to use symbiosis method to germinate the seed because the fungi will have some sort of immunsystem to protect the cromes where plating medium is more susceptible to contamination

Comments (7)

• arthurm
    9 years ago

I think this subject is way beyond the knowledge set of most of the people who contribute to this site.
    Are there any purely Native Orchid Societies in the USA?

They might have someone with the knowledge that you seek.

I enclose a link to an article which discusses Australian Native Terrestrial Species

Here is a link that might be useful: Australian Native Terrestrial orchids

• scorpio_bafh
    9 years ago

Hi Mycoman420.
    It pretty hard to find the right micorizal fungi for a teristrial orchid. One of the methods is to use a little piece of root from the parent plant and make a mono culture of the micorizal fungi. An easier way is to sow sterile and hope for the best when you take the plants out of the flasks. I have a flask with a few seedlings of the Calypso, Kind of afraid to deflask them but I have to do it some day. Do you have seeds of the Calypso ? and is it the Calypso bulbosa Americana (the one with the yellow lip)
    It is stil difficult here a link:
    .http://calypsoorchid.com/index.html
    Greetings

This post was edited by scorpio_bafh on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 16:56

• mycoman420
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes i have caylpso seed and yes they are the americana type
    i also know where some white ones are but i was away last year to collect the seed

that is great you have some in the flask let me know if you have success with them

i have some t839 cyp.germination medium do you think that would work what did you use?

best wishes

• mycoman420
    Original Author
    9 years ago

to arthurm

i heard the technique from culturing a cross section on the root yields a fungi that is not useful for germination of the seed but maybe the fungi would be useful after deflasking seeds germinated in medium

Australia has some good institutions like the symbiosis place i cant remember the name right off hand but i would like to see more places like that in America

unfortunately any of the orchid society i tried to participate in was more about socializing than orchids their was this meeting i went to and nobody knew what flasking was i have be close to acquiring mycorizal fungi once but the owner do not ever want to let any out for any kinda money just trade for other fungi

best wishes thanks for your post

• scorpio_bafh
    9 years ago

Hi Mycoman,
    Are you willing to trade/give me some of the Calypo seeds, my first run had a very low germinating rate and I would like to make another try. When I'm succefull with sowing I can send you some of the bulbs (still in vitro) as far as I know it is allowed that way to send plants to the USA. It will be a long run the seed I sowed took nearly a year to germinate and the bulbs are now 3-6 mm I think will keep them another year in the flask before taking out, fingers crossed.
    Greetings

• scorpio_bafh
    9 years ago

Sorry Mycoman,
    I didn't answer your question about the t839 cyp. germination medium I don't know that medium. I have used BM-2 Half strength and some coconut water and active charcoal added, From what I hear from the other menbers of the Dutch Orchid Sowing Society is BM-1 for orchids who form tubers and BM-2 for those who form bulbs.
    Greetings
    Added a link to my website (work still in progress to much other work to do :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Ochid Projects

• mycoman420
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for all the great information
    i can send you some seeds that's no problem
    if you don't mind waiting till around June i can send you some of the white ones i do not think they will necessarily be white but they have a better chance i would assume