Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orchids at Lowe,s Building Supply

Posted by janepa Z5-6 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 12 at 21:31

Are the orchids that Lowe's sell a quality that are worth buying?

I have bought a couple which I paid $15.-$25. but they have never made it to a second bloom cycle. I think I was the problem because I know very little about growing orchids.

Which are the heaviest bloomers that I might be able to get locally?

Thank you. Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orchids at Lowe,s Building Supply

Most of the orchids sold at Lowes equivalent places here are top quality. Only problems are restricted choice and rapid decline in the condition of the plants due to public handling and poor care by sales staff. For example, it only takes about 5 days for a pristine plant to be reduced to a wreck at an orchid society's sales table at a show.

Maybe contact the orchid societies in your area to see what the locals grow.

o

I've bought 4 or 5 of their tiny starter cattleya orchids and all are doing well. The first thing I do when getting one home is repot into tiny plastic pots with cones and slats on the side and remove rotted roots, if any. A "Goldenzelle" type has grown to blooming size and the other tiny ones are all doing very well. I agree with Arthur: a lot depends on the care given by sales staff.

o

Thank you for your replies. I will first do some studing on orchids and then give Lowe's another try.

Jane

o

I'm no expert when it comes to orchids. I've been growing phals for almost eight years. My oldest orchid came from Lowe's and 3-4 of my other ones came from Lowe's as well. They have been growing great for years and I would continue to buy them from Lowe's without a doubt. As for the rest of my collection, they have come from eBay. I do agree that arthurm is right when he said that it only takes a few days for a really nice orchid to be a wreck. Happy growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here