Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home Depot orchids with amazing colors, are they for real

Posted by smokedbyremy Sunset Z18, SoCal (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 21:49

Hello,

I've been seeing some very unique colors of orchids (various blues, deep purple/pinks) at select grocers and today at Home Depot. I almost bought the one today, it had varying shades of purple and interestingly blue/purple veins. My question is: are these true breeds, and will they rebloom with these colors. I was told they may be dyed with these colors.

Anyone have any knowledge on this subject?

Thank you.

Remy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home Depot orchids with amazing colors, are they for real

Fake fake fake fake fake fake

Dye is injected at the base of the spike during its development. They will bloom out white at the next blooming.

o

That's what I thought. And they charge a premium for them too. It's too bad they can't actually create breeds of that color. Very nice. I wonder how hard it would be to dye them? I don't think I would; that's not my thing, but they are impressive.

Thank you for the feedback.

Remy

o

Hi
Our local HD had them in blue neon orange ,puple and lime green !! also some had glitter glued to the petals !!
I asked about them and they said they were selling 3 to one over normal colors lol What a marketing ploy?? gary

o

the sad part is the people who buy the glittery ones want them to bloom again - with glitter.

o

Hi
There certainly is a gigantic cut flower market Why not orchids ?? gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here