Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zygo new growth

Posted by jbw1984 11a (socal) (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 23:07

Hello experts and orchid-growing folks-- I have a Zygopetalum that is starting to show new growth. I bought it around Thanksgiving with two big spikes full of buds, but the buds never opened. I cut them when it became clear that they were not going to succeed. I am not sure if this was because of a change in environment when I took them home or something that happened before I took custody of them (it was the only plant in the store of several with no opened buds).

Anyway, my Internet searching suggests that I should fertilize starting in March or so. But if the plant is showing new growth now and didn't fully bloom last cycle... will it be okay to start fertilizing it now? Is 30-10-10 appropriate?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zygo new growth

A lot of plants/trees in so Cal are doing things early this year. If your plant is in bark, I would begin using moderate amounts of 30-10-10. If it is in anything else, I would stick with a more balanced fert.

Matt, formerly of so Cal for nearly 40 years.

o
RE: Zygo new growth

Thank you Matt! Your comment about bark sparked me me read up on fertilizers. Glad to learn something new.

This one is indeed in bark and I went ahead and added he 30-10-10 fertilizer this morning -- will report back in a few weeks on results!

But I am now considering acquiring other kinds of fertilizer for some of my other plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here