10 years ago

I love these.

{{gwi:142877}}

The wild ones have very good scent.

{{gwi:142879}}

Comments (13)

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

At first I thought passerianum but probably not. What is the location of these plants? Both leaves and flowers are a dead ringer for Cyp formosanum, you don't happen to live in China do you? That's where these are from.

Nick

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

They are wild looking! Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nick, yes.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

You had me confused because on your member page it said you live in the US. Were the picture of these wild ones taken in China? I got one in Lakewood,California which is about to open, will post a picture and we can compare. Don't remember it being fragrant when it bloomed last spring. Bought it on eBay from a China vendor.

Nick

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nick, I travel :)

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Got it. Good for you.

Nick

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

My Cyp formosana is now in bloom. Cannot detect an aroma, will keep checking. It is the first one to bloom, others are in bud but at least 1 week plus away. This one matured at a tremendous rate. Feb 10th saw it coming out of the dark fridge and being planted. Slightly more than 2 weeks later it had developed the leaves and the flower.

Nick

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

I don't know the mechanics of this plant, I bought it last year with 2 noses, it produced 1 flower. When I took it out of the fridge it had 5 noses and I was expecting multiple blooms. This appears to be the only flower it will make, none of the other growths seem to harbor buds. I guess the 5 plants will collect strength and maybe next year there wiill be multiple blooms --- hope.

Notice the characteristic shape of the leaves, same as on the plant you photographed in the woods of China.

Nick

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nick, wow, yours are absolutely lovely. This one does not seem to have scent but the one in the second picture does. I only saw them in the wild. I do not have any myself. I assume they require expert to keep alive :-) I am so jealous of yours.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Actually not that difficult with the help of the fridge. Raising Rarities (http://www.raisingrarities.com/order_form.php) sells them for $75, now is the time to get them as they are still dormant. They give you detailed instructions how to grow them and even sell the perfect mix for them.

They are in a cool shady place outside, bloom in the spring, make chlorophyll the rest of the year, loose their leaves in the fall. In October I unpot them wash the roots clean and place the wet roots in a locked Zip-Lock baggie. Then they go in the veggie drawer of the fridge where they stay until Valentine Day. At that time they are repotted and bloom fairly quickly. The first year I had some fatalities but this is my third year of growing them and almost all are coming back. The one you photographed does look a little different, I guess there are variations like in everything else.

Nick

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

By the way there are not 5 separate plants. The root ball just gets larger and shoots up multiple growths which are called noses on these. Eventually one hopes for a colony of 5 to 10 blooming at the same time in a 2 gallon Cymbidium pot. Individual plantlets can be teased from the root ball to make divisions but first one hopes for a busy colony.

Nick

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

I took the picture too soon, now it's fully open. I love that little thing.

Nick

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Now that the flower is 3/4 days old, it looks much more like the one you photographed in China.

Nick

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting