Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lunaticvulpine

my options for more vanilla

lunaticvulpine
17 years ago

ok so now im looking for more sources of vanilla .. i mean other then the two commonly available . any one that can point me in the right direction. i would really appreciate it.... a whole lot thanks

Gaston

Comments (11)

• bihai
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There was a leafless species on eBay that just went for $75 for a very small plant. Otherwise, I have never seen any of the more rare vanillas for sale anywhere, on line or in person.

• jamcm
    17 years ago

Ecuagenera has three species - planifolia of course, but also odorata and pompona. Don't know if these would qualify as rarer...

Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: Ecuagenera

• lunaticvulpine
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Julie i think odorata qualifies... pompona. not so much i cant remeber where i saw it but i think pompona is another syn of fragrans/planifolia

thanks for pointing it out to me. i had almost forgot ecuagen XD

but im still looking for more resources
    thanks
    Gaston

• hilltop3
    17 years ago

Hello, let me get the disclosures out of the way up front. I am the sales manager and son of Dick Wells, owner and curator of Hilltop Orchids, Inc. I happened to see your message while browsing this site and thought I sould let you know that we carry Vanilla Planifolia plants in all sizes. I am attaching a link to the catalogue entry for Vanilla plants if you would like to look at it online. Please feel free to browse our catalogue for other orchids and orchid grwoing supplies. And feel free to let us know if you have any questions.

Warm Regards,
    Rich Wells
    Hilltop Orchids, Inc.
    http://www.hilltoporchids.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanilla Planifolia

• claritamaria
    17 years ago

Just went up to Oak Hill Gardens and saw several different types of vanilla. Hauserman's has it sometimes too (different variety) But with hausermann's I suggest repottong anything you buy as soon as you get it

• lunaticvulpine
    Original Author
    17 years ago

clarita thanks for reminding me. im gonna have to give oak hills a call some time soon because i know that they tend to have alot more then they list on their website.

Rich

. thanks for pointing me to the sight but i already have planiflora.

Gaston

• cjwatson
    17 years ago

Andy's has aphylla.

• zach_rogers
    17 years ago

Sources for Vanilla species: This list was compiled over a period of time, some listings may not be currently offered or may no longer be offered. Fragrant generally refers to the vanilla bean, not the flower.

Note: Rick's Tropica ceased operations, but is included for reference since they offered species not listed by anyone else. In particular an unknown Thai species having a white flower with a purple lip. Does anyone have one? Are there any cuttings available?

Note: There are a very large number of "synonyms" for V planifolia. Many are not planifolia, (tahitiensis used to be called planifolia). When ordering a planifolia from a new source, you may get a plant similar to one you already have, or one that is obviously different. Basically any vanilla that is cultivated for vanilla, or is from the new world, has leaves and even remotely yellowish flowers (as in white or green) has been called Vanilla planifolia.

Vanilla
    africana green petals, white column and red to purple on the lip. Fragrant Ricks Tropica 6" pot $30

albida fragrant from white to pink RickÂs Tropica 3 nodes $30

aphylla leafless Oak Hill Gardens 2½" pot $10
    barbellata (larger than dilloniana) sFl/Carib: grn-ylw, col yl to crm, lip pur. RickÂs Tropica 3 nodes $25

chamissonis Brasil: grn w/white col & orange in lip Frag, comm quality Santa Barbara $25

dilloniana sFl-Carib: grn , col ylw to cream. lip purple Very frag, no beans RickÂs Tropica 3 nodes $25

fragrans L & R

imperialis Ivory Coast to Tanzania ylw to wht, rose-pink to purplish -red on the lip. Frag, no beans RickÂs Tropica 3 nodes $30

lutescens Oak Hill Gardens3 ½" pot $15

madagascariensis leafless/ stem has dark warts nsexotics seller on eBay

odorata Ecuagenera $12

phaeantha Fl/WI grn-ylw,col wht, lip ylw striped, multifloral, frag RickÂs Tropica 3 nodes $25

planifolia 8'-15' to bloom, large. Quick grower Orchids of La Joya $8
    Oak Hill Gardens 3 ½" $12
    Akerne Orchids ~30cm E12
    Phytesia flask 30 miniflask 15
    Pepiniere Bot Gar
    Easy Orchids $30
    Ecuagenera $10
    Van Rooyen R55
    Santa Barbara $17.50
    Kawamoto 14" cutting $10
    Vanilla Export Co $4
    Greenview Gardens 4" $18
    Orchid Web 4" pot $25
    L & R
    planifolia cv VEC1 & cv VEC2 Commercial cultivars developed for better production, etc Vanilla Export Co $5

planifolia albomarginata slow growing, leaf with white to yellowish edges RickÂs Tropica 3 node $60 6"pot $120

planifolia variegata 8-15' to bloom, mod slow, good qual, ylw stripes in leaf center Palmer Orchids $15
    Native Habitat $15
    Tropiflora

polylepis cool-growing Af: fragrant, green petals, white column, flared purplish-red lip Easy Orchids $30
    Van Rooyen R100

pompona trop Am, like robust planifolia, good bloomer, easy to grow Oak Hill Gardens 4" pot $15
    Ecuagenera $15
    Orquideas del Valle $25
    Van Rooyen R55

roscheri(like decaryana)L Sibaya,Natal, wht,pnk - yl on lip/throat not common RickÂs Tropica 3 nodes:inquire

siamensis green, white bearded lip Easy Orchids $30

somai Beauty Orchids $35

tahitiensis Tahiti Vanilla Export Co $4

unk sp Mayotte, Comoros Is 3 poss sp, very frag, whte, wht pink,w or ylw brn RickÂs Tropica 3 nodes: inquire

unk sp Thai pretty flowers, white with purple RickÂs Tropica 3 nodes: $200

• lunaticvulpine
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanx for all the info Zach i was wondering though have you had any luck contacting ricks? because ive made attempts in the past but no luck

Thanks again
    Gaston

• zach_rogers
    17 years ago

Ref: Rick's Tropica. No luck what so ever. Pity.

• greensprings
    17 years ago
Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville