Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Orchids for a brackish terrarium

garyfla_gw
13 years ago

Hi

Are there any species that would grow in these conditions??. Will be on the low side but still have SALT lol gary

Comments (5)

• highjack
    13 years ago

Gary I don't have an answer for you but it is nice to see you back on the forum. How are you feeling?

Brooke

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Brooke
    Seem to be doing pretty good feeling MUCH better and have passed all my tests. Have tremendously downsized the stuff I keep which helps lol Sold all but 3 of my birds ,cut my plant collection in half and eliminated one pond. Been working on a 150 terrarium as well as a large fish tank which is what led me to the above question lol.
    Seen some fantastic setups on the net but had never thought of "brackish" though I"ve kept sw reefs for many years but I'm guessing SW and orchids don't mix?? lol
    gary

• elvis
    13 years ago

How about ghost orchids?

• arthurm
    13 years ago

Gary, have you tried googling Mangroves+orchids. There is a Dockrillia that can be found around these parts growing on rocks just above the highest tide mark, must get some salt spray in rough weather.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi
    Ghosts are limited to the Faxahatchee swamp which to my knowlege is FW but will check that out
    Dockrillia never heard of it but will pass the info on .
    My suggestion was to forget about the orchid family particularly in a smaller setup tons of other choices in the plant kingdom for sure.
    I suspect than even if there are such orchids finding them is going to be a tough order lol. Oh well
    Thanks for the input will check them out even if it's just to satisfy my own curiosity gary