Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orchids for a brackish terrarium

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 4:04

Hi
Are there any species that would grow in these conditions??. Will be on the low side but still have SALT lol gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orchids for a brackish terrarium

Gary I don't have an answer for you but it is nice to see you back on the forum. How are you feeling?

Brooke

o

Hi Brooke
Seem to be doing pretty good feeling MUCH better and have passed all my tests. Have tremendously downsized the stuff I keep which helps lol Sold all but 3 of my birds ,cut my plant collection in half and eliminated one pond. Been working on a 150 terrarium as well as a large fish tank which is what led me to the above question lol.
Seen some fantastic setups on the net but had never thought of "brackish" though I"ve kept sw reefs for many years but I'm guessing SW and orchids don't mix?? lol
gary

o

How about ghost orchids?

o

Gary, have you tried googling Mangroves+orchids. There is a Dockrillia that can be found around these parts growing on rocks just above the highest tide mark, must get some salt spray in rough weather.

o

Hi
Ghosts are limited to the Faxahatchee swamp which to my knowlege is FW but will check that out
Dockrillia never heard of it but will pass the info on .
My suggestion was to forget about the orchid family particularly in a smaller setup tons of other choices in the plant kingdom for sure.
I suspect than even if there are such orchids finding them is going to be a tough order lol. Oh well
Thanks for the input will check them out even if it's just to satisfy my own curiosity gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here