Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dendrobiums Aussie Chip

Posted by randg 11 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 4:22

I was searching for epiphyte plants at Aloha stadium swam meet, but I couldn't find any that I don't have or that interest me. Although I did find and bought an attractive small sized orchid called "Den. Aussie Chip". It was potted in a large bark mixture. After some searching about dendrobiums, I read that most, if not all, are epiphytic. Is this true? I'm not yet bitten by orchid bug, so perhaps this is one of the few orchid I will own. Could I treat this Dendrobiums aussie chip like an epiphyte? Do they tolerate direct sun?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dendrobiums Aussie Chip

Dendrobium Aussie Chip is a cute little plant. The back of the flower is better looking than the front. It is an epiphyte. Let it dry out between watering and give it bright light.

Morning and late afternoon sun are fine. I'm not sure about midday sun. I grow all my plants in diffuse light. Sunburn can happen quickly in direct sunlight. If you are growing plants indoors you know that sun through glass can get quite hot. If the leaves feel warm it is too much light.

If you want to see more about the parents of the hybrid, they are aberrans x atroviolaceum. Both of them are very light plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog.backbulb.com

o

The correct name of the orchid is Den. Aussie's Chip. The only thing Aussie about it is Phil Spence who bred and registered the orchid.

Bit of a pain that a search on Aussie's Chip in the RHS Database finds nix. You have to look for Chip or Aussie.

Will it thrive and bloom in zone 11?

o

should be fine in zone 11
I grow mine, as with all my dens in full sun, all day.
Dont just throw it out in full sun, ACCLIMATE it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here