Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seik4123

Catts to bloom mid-May???

Sheila
15 years ago

All my large blooming catts are Fall Winter bloomers. Any suggestions for ones that will bloom from May thru the summer? TIA.

Sheila :)

Comments (12)

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Sheila, here are some of my large blooming Catts that have bloomed in the summer. No clones are mentioned for the sake of conciseness, but if you want more info, just ask..

C. gaskelliana
    C. guttata
    L. purpurata
    Blc. Keowee (compact)
    C. Chocolate Drop (small but many blooms)
    C. bicolor
    Blc. Crowfield
    Lc. Blue Grotto
    C. Dupreana
    Blc. Lime Cooler (compact)
    Bc. Little Marmaid (compact)
    Lc. Tokyo Magic (compact, but blooms profusely)
    Lc. Tropical Fashion - compact but profuse blooms, very fragrant!

I tried top pick out the ones most easily found, and that like to bloom, but I couldn't resist adding some compact ones, because they are just too good not to list.
    C. Trimos and Lc. Tahoe Rose are blooming now, too. :)

Carol

• cjwatson
    15 years ago

Let me add just a couple:

Slc Jewel Box (for bright reds)
    C. skinnerii (both albas and standard pink)
    Laelia Pulcherrima (lobata x purpurata)

• picotee_sofl
    15 years ago

Sheila, I'll put in a second mention of BC Little Marmaid. I have the 'Janet' clone and it's one of my favorites.

Marci

• arthurm
    15 years ago

The last of spring and not yet summer is probably the leanest bloom time of the year here for "Cats"

Here is a very lean list from the benching at the local orchid society. Certainly the leanest time of year in my collection.

Bl. Terri Drake
    C. Lynn Spencer x Slc. DalÂs Magic
    Ctna. Why Not
    Epi. Gold Valley ÂHildosÂ
    Iwan. Appleblossom
    Lc. (Trick or Treat x self) ÂTangerineÂ
    Lctna. Tina ÂT13Â
    Sc. Love Hero ÂHimmanuÂ
    Slc. DalÂs Rage
    Slc. Hazel Boyd ÂFraeÂ
    Slc. Hazel Boyd X C. Rimfire

• arthurm
    15 years ago

That last list was for November, Southern Hemisphere. Things improve at the end of summer as things like Chocolate Drop hybrids come into bloom

• Sheila
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK everyone, thanks. I had forgotten about Appleblossom & Little Marmaid. I hated to specify red, but was definitely looking for one or two recommendations to pass along to my friend. I used to have a beautiful Jewel Box 'Scheherazade', I should replace it. I will keep some of these plants in mind for myself. I'm wanting to add a couple blues. Carol, I'll look up Blue Grotto and if memory is correct, dupreana is a blue?

I have a couple friends who've just started growing orchids and both want to buy catts. Most of mine are Fall bloomers. So, now we have a list and can all shop together.

• toyo2960
    15 years ago

Some mossaie hybrids might still be in bloom: you're typical Mother's Day, Easter C. J.A. Carbone hybrids like C. Irene Holguin and Lc. Irene Finney. As summer nears, catts with C. warscewiczii in it will bloom as well as dowiana. (or C. Hardyana). But Lc. Princess Margaret is a great old summer bloomer. Lc. Powatten.

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Sheila, sorry, I got carried away...I am so in love with my Lc. Tropical Fashion when its blooming, as it is now! :)

Carol

• Sheila
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don't we all get carried away??? LOL. I found your pic in the gallery from last April. It is very pretty! And fragrance is always the BIGGIE with me. My Sogo Doll just finished blooming. It's my fav of my compact growers, but it isn't fragrant.

I started this thread for a new friend who wants to buy 5-6 summer blooming plants. She wants to 'show off' to other friends at a social they're having at their home. I'll loan her what I have in bloom, but she wants some of her own. Houston has a show in April, so she wants to pre-order and get plants in sheath.

• julysun
    15 years ago

She can check Palmer Orchids and buy them in bloom, that way she can have them blooming at the right time. Palmer is in Pasadena Tx. So is Clown Alley Orchids. Both have nice plants. Pasadena is just outside Houston, both have web sites.

• Sheila
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot about Palmer. We've already contacted Clown Alley. Thx for the tip.

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    15 years ago

Help.....I have an old one,(don't know the name), that hasn't been bloomed at all, I've just transplanted It in a slightly bigger pot. It has been growing for last few months, I've been fertilizing it with a 20-20-20 Grow More. I keep it in my south-facing living-room and water it when tested dry. Is there hope for IT yet?

Annamaria V

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH