Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some buds wilting on my phal

Posted by boothbay 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 9:24

My Phal is blooming again...2 spikes...but this is the first time that some buds ( 2 so far ) have shown signs of wilting. They were between the very tip ends, which look healthy, though have not opened yet and the lower buds that are blooming nicely. I've treated them the same way as before where not once did this happened...any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some buds wilting on my phal

Not sure. That it's happening to the newest growth is of important consideration. The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is maybe it was kept a tad cold and the tip of the spike got nipped, or you kept it a little too dry for a short period.

Exactly how far along were the buds that are aborting?

But I don't really find those explanations to be fully satisfactory. I think a fuller answer might come if you wait to see how the spike continues to develop.

Edit: one more thought crossed my mind. Where and how are you growing it? I don't know exactly where you are but here in DC we've had an abnormal amount of cloudy, snowy days. If your plant is by a window, the lower light might have some influence.

This post was edited by terpguy on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 19:55

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here