Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Culture of many Chinese orchids

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 10:35

I just returned from the San Francisco orchid show which was fantastic. Found great stuff from the Chinese grower Henduan Mts.Biotechnology from whom I had pro-ordered but found more on his table. Also a new discovery for me, PHRAO Orchids Nursery from Thailand. Between these 2, I was totally stripped of cash (dog food for the rest of the month) and did not even look at the American vendors, the usual suspects, from whom one can buy stuff anytime. Ecuagenera was there but they'll show up in Santa Barbara and San Diego, these other 2 only come to San Francisco.

Had a lengthy discussion with Dr Holger Penner, the co-owner of Henduan who pointed out a basic mistakes he thinks many American growers are making with cold growing Chinese orchids. The parvisepalum Paphs are the prime example of what he is talking about. I treat them as cool growers and have them in the cold greenhouse. Correct treatment during the winter which is cold and dry in their natural habitat. However during the monsoon season they get very warm and extremely wet and they should not remain in the cold house. He recommends moving all of the Chinese orchids from that region into the warm house during the summer along with copious watering.

Moving them to the warm house is a new twist for me as I have thought of them as cool growers, not so according to him. Cold in the winter and quite warm in the summer is his recommendation..

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Culture of many Chinese orchids

I'll bet the show was great for you. We moved from California 3 years ago. I think the Feb show is one of the things I miss most.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here