Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bloom gone, can I bring orchids back to life?

Posted by nansaidh none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 18, 11 at 11:47

I'm a newbie! I love orchids and have seven that have come and gone with their blooms. Can I bring these back to bloom again eventually? What do they require to do so? The ones I have are Phalaenopis orchids and are just nice waxy leaves at the base now. Any advice?
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bloom gone, can I bring orchids back to life?

• Posted by donaldb 5B Worcester MA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 18, 11 at 12:03

Hope this little bit of info will be of some help. First off here is a website with good info for you. Needless to say there are many,many more. http://www.robert-bedard.com/orchids/phal_culture.html

I have 9 phals all in bloom right now as they do every years for the past 7 years. It seems this is when they do their thing so to speak. Don't over water them and let the branch that the blooms were on die back then you may cut it. If it stays green there is a slight chance you may get another bloom but highly unlikely. Put them outdoors, if possible when the weather permits and come fall let them experience the temperature changes. This will cause them to put out spikes. All of the info you google up is good for what you need to know as I have found these to be he easiest orchids to grow. Happy growing. By the way I'm from Massachusetts.

o

Welcome to the addiction! Like Donald, I have several phals blooming now, But I have them blooming year 'round--I figure they are inside always, and therefore may not know what time of year it is, LOL. That being said, I used to cut the stalk back till my sister told me to stop, so I did. Now I cut back, leaving several nodes on the green stalk. This will usually send off a side spike which blooms, sometimes as nicely as the first, sometimes a bit less showy. As long as the plant is getting good nutrition I don't see the harm in it.

Good luck~~

o

When you put your phals outside as donaldb wisely suggests, put them in bright light but no sun, unless it's very early gentle morning sun. Most phals bloom once a year, although the blooms can last for weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here