Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafhead

Onc. Heaven Scent "Redolence"

Leafhead
10 years ago

Got one of these beautiful orchids as a gift and I want to keep it happy. I plan on repotting in the Spring and was wondering what the best mix would be?
My guess is fine (small) bark in a clay pot. Just trying to get the best info for this lovely orchid.
I have a Twinkle Red that is doing well and also a yellow Oncidium that are both doing well. TR is a rebloomer :)
Should I follow suit and treat as another Oncidium, or does this one need special care?

Comments (5)

• auron22
    10 years ago

I've only grown this orchid for about a year, but so far it seems pretty tough and blooms easily. It is quite forgiving, and vigorous. So far only had some sun damage from not properly acclimating it....and two leaves yellowed from overwatering (the mix broke down in 6 months...). I put it in MG orchid mix.........a mistake i'll never make again. I plan on repotting it into a more course bark mix...only because that is the next best thing I can find locally.

I let the media dry in between waterings. It finished flowering a month ago and a second spike is on it's way for spring. I really love the scent of this orchid.

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, mine is quite fragrant too, and in full bloom :)
    Do you recommend a clay pot or plastic?
    I have an Oncidium Twinkle Red that is a rebloomer and I plan on treating my Redolence in a similar culture.

• auron22
    10 years ago

I put mine in a clay pot to help it dry faster, I might move to plastic when I repot though since the new media will have much larger pieces. Since the roots are so fine though, I might run into some problems....

I think fine-medium grade is probably the way to go, and you might want a clay pot to help it dry some. I wish more experienced growers would chime in....at least to tell me if I'm even accurate. lol. I've only grown orchids for a little over 2 years.

Here is an AOS oncidium culture sheet. There are so many different oncidiums and it tries to cover all bases, but I found some information conflicting when it came to this particular orchid. Unless I'm mistaken that heavens scent 'redolence' does not have thick "mule ear" leaves. It seems that way to me but I don't have much to compare it to.

Here is a link that might be useful: AOS oncidium culture

• jbraun_gw
    10 years ago

I couldn't find any decent potting medium locally either. So I ordered an 8qt bag of medium fir bark. That's 1/2". I also ordered some spagnum moss. I picked up some red lava rock that's 3/4" size. Others like different rock to use.

From these 3 ingredients I make up my own mixes.

Oncidiums like to never dry out. So I use 50 % fir bark, 30% rock and 20% spagnum moss. Water as they just approach dryness, about 5 days this time of year.

My preference for pots is plastic over clay. I don't care for the roots sticking to the clay pots. I also prefer clear slotted pots. You can see how the root system is doing.

I have a white Twincle, Sherry Baby and a few others. I joined the St Louis Orchid Society and they not only give good info at the monthly meetings but the raffle off free door prizes for the members. I started out with 1 orchid in November 2012 and I'm now up to about 25. I've only bought 5 of my present orchids. I would have had 35 if the learning curve hadn't been so steep.

Good Luck.

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanx, guys,
    I think I'll try fine bark c a clay pot and water every 5-7 days. My other Oncidiums seem to do fine in clay.

I ALMOST got a Twinkle White at the Garden Expo two weeks ago...came this close