Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paphiopedalum bloom falling off

Posted by jayess99 florida (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 14:29

I have a paph,1 yr old, finally developed a bloom spike, got the head half developed, now the top 2-3 inches of the stalk is turning brown and the flower head is brown (the inside growth). What happened? Is there anything I can do to salvage it? thanks for your help. js

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paphiopedalum bloom falling off

• Posted by bob8 z5 NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 15:09

Sorry, there is nothing you can do to save the flower at this point. Did you move the plant from one location to another? Change the amount of sun it received? When is the last time you repotted it? Is it growing inside or out? I would gentle pull it out of the pot and see if it has a good root system. If it does I would guess, possible lack of enough water. If the roots are rotted, then it still isn't getting enough water as there are no roots to pull up the water into the flower. Just my thought.

Hope it helps
Bob in Albany, N.Y.

o

I'm in SW florida, paph is outside in the shade, haven't moved it except to bring it inside when the temp dropped, haven't repotted it in a year. I'll take a look at the roots. This is the 1st time I've kept a paph alive this long, expected great things, what a bummer. It got down in the 50's a couple nights, could that have done it? Colder than that, it was inside. I need to read up on paphs, but I watered it when it got almost dry, fertilized it about 1x/month. Anyway, thanks. If you think of anything else, let me know.

o

• Posted by bob8 z5 NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 21:20

Please let us know how the roots are. I grow lots of paphs. in a greenhouse up north. I let the temp. fall to 55 at night for about a month and then I bring it up to 60 degrees as a min. The reason I let it fall to 55 for a month is to jump start the nobile dendrobiums into blooming. I really don't think you went too low with the temp.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here