Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers fell off, stem turned black...point of no return?

Posted by MyOrchidIsSad none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 14:59

Hello all! I'd appreciate your help. My boyfriend bought me an orchid a couple weeks ago. I am unsure what kind it is. It seemed to be doing well for a while. It had one stem of flowers, and then another one bloomed as well. A week later, the first stem of flowers began to wilt and fall off. The second stem shortly followed. I want to keep the plant alive, but don't know what to do. I think that I was supposed to cut the stems off after the flowers died, but I do not have any way to sterilize the tools and have no idea how to cut them anyways. Now, they are almost black, and kind of crunchy to the touch. Some of the leaves are beginning to brown on the tips as well. I water it about once a week, but I have NO idea how much water to give it. Last time, it was about a cup or two. The plant sits in a southeast window, but my apartment is extremely dry. I'd appreciate any help I could get!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers fell off, stem turned black...point of no return?

You probably have a Phalaenopsis, just google Phalaenopsis and select images to confirm. Also you are somewhere in the USA, the posters here need to know the area where you live to give good advice.

o

Hopefully these pictures work. I don't think I have a Phalaenopsis because the leaves are different. I live in the Midwest (USA)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures..

o

Looks like a cymbidium. I'm the wrong person to ask, if that's what it is? Try looking up cymbidium.

o

I think it is a cymbidium!!! If only I knew what to do with it now.

o

Just take some scissors and snip off the old/dead spikes. No need to sterilize. You're leaf tips are browning due to low humidity. Keep it bright, raise the humidity and if possible put it outside for late spring into fall. It will very high light and fall night-time temps down into the 40's to bloom again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here