Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

What is the most easiest in-door fragrant orchid?

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

I am not sure if this has been asked before, but I was hoping no one would mind if I asked..I am new here, so please forgive me..I would like to get one for my sic mom.

Can anyone tell we what is considered one of the easiest, most fragrant and easy to reflower "orchid" that I could get? If not at my local grenhouse, then maybe off a website someone might know of..

Thank you very much.

Mike

Comments (14)

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Hi Mike!

The most important factor in suggesting a reflowering indoor orchid is the amount of light it will get. What is the direction does the window that this plant would call home face? Many people, including myself, will point to Brassavola nodosa, IF you have the light for it. Very nice, sweet scent and it reblooms a couple times a year. Countless cattleya hybrids will give you good fragrance and can rebloom indoors if given a south-ish facing window.

For slightly lower light than that (west or so), Dendrobium Sea Mary 'Snow King' is a BEAUTIFUL while nobile dendrobium that is fragrant-to me-of soft herbal soap, and blooms 2x a year as well.

Encyclia cochleata is another one. Very easy and always in bloom when big enough. Not entirely sure of the light requirement on this one, I've always grown it with my Cattleyas in higher light so I'm not sure how low its blooming/light threshold is.

For an eastern exposure/lower end of the light spectrum, there are numerous scented phalaenopsis. You'd have to hunt a bit, but they are absolutely out there.

a few places to look:
    www.orchids.com (buyer beware, but they have a great search engine to browse their inventory)
    www.oakhillgardens.com
    www.carterandholmes.com (best for cattleya hybrids)
    www.orchidsbyhausermann.com (also cattleyas, but more likely to be old enough to bloom than carter and holmes).

These are just some possibilities, and others will definitely have more, but to make a more targeted suggestion, we need to know more about what the growing conditions will be like.

Chris

• zzyzzyx
    14 years ago

I found that Maxillaria tenuifolia bloomed vigorously for me in an east-facing window. Last year, I got over 42 blooms from it!

Also, though I have never owned one, I have smelled Onc. Sharry Baby, which is marvelous, and I have heard that it is also easy to keep.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chris, thank you for that!!!

To better describe the conditions they will be growing in. Near south facing windows..Not right up against them, but to the left or right of them, getting late day or early am sun..That is most of winter.

In summer, I am not sure of whether to bring them outdoors, or keep them indoors, since they will not be getting any sun at all, because the sun is high in the sky, over the house..Just a bunch of light I guess..Not sure what to do.Bring them outdoors, or keep them in all year.

The room is going to be also kind of humid, and high 50'sand mid 60's by winter, then 60's to the 80's the rest of the year. That room is starting to be regularly in the warm humid 60's now. I do not heat that room.

My mother in whom I am caring for, will be totally in charge of her own plants...She is crazy about them..

Than you!

Also, zzyzzyx, believe or not, by some chance of luck, I managed to re-bloom a Sharry Baby that smells like chocolate..On this one, I would say it was just by luck. I do have a east facing window that get's no sun at all, and your saying an orchid like that would do well..Outstanding. I have nothing in that window either..

All the suggestions I get are going to be much appreciated!

Mike:-)

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Be careful with the Sharry Baby. Many people seem to have a visceral reaction to it, they can't stand the fragrance. It is easy to keep, and I love mine, but not everyone loves the fragrance. I know a few people who couldn't get rid of it fast enough!

The amount of light you can provide during the summer is really the determining factor. I grow Phals in a south window during the winter, its just not a whole lot of light. Outside is always best when possible! Assuming you can provide high light, heres my recommendations, broken down:

High light:
    Brassavola nodosa
    Various Cattleya hybrids
    Neofinetia falcata

Medium light
    Dendrobium Sea Mary 'Snow King'
    Encyclia cochleata
    Encyclia cordigera
    if you have the space, Stanhopea (can be pretty large)
    Maxillaria tenuifolia - smells like coconut
    Brassia Rex 'Sakata'

Low light:
    Phal Ember 'Carmela'
    Phal Orchid World (various cultivars)
    Any Phal violacea hybrid

Just as a starting point :)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What a great help you are.

Thank you so much..:-)

Mike

• birding_nut
    14 years ago

The two for me that are the most reliable to bloom every year are Brassavola nodosa and Neofinetia falcata. I have high light west windows that they both perform well in. My nodosa is large enough that it gets multiple growths and will literally be in bloom for months at a time. Neofinetia is a delight in the summer when it blooms. Both have outstanding fragrance.

BN

• smwboxer
    14 years ago

If you have high light Zygo. mackayi is a great one. Mine scents the entire apartment and blooms in fall and spring with very long lasting blooms.

• zzyzzyx
    14 years ago

Perhaps I should add that I have the orchid right up in the sill, touching the glass, and I believe my house tilts slightly south, as I sit on a curve in the road. Still, it is primarily an east-facing window. Luck, perhaps...but it does well for me! That's all I can say. I also have an Encyclia cochleata blooming there, as well as an Lc. Trick or Treat 'Water.' However, neither of those are fragrant. I offered the best information I can! Congrats on the Sharry Baby, and good luck with your selection!!!

• onemango
    14 years ago

Hi Mike - If your Mother's new to orchids she may be underwhelmed by anything other than a large Catt or Phalaenopsis in bloom. Most orchids make a splash just a few weeks in a year but need care throughout the year to make that splash. For me it makes the flowers more welcomed. That said, I think Neofinetia falcata and its hybrids fit the bill. They're small, have beautiful foliage, can easily grow on a windowsill with moderately bright light. The hybrids might be better choices because they have better color, will bloom 2-3 times a year, and stay smallish. The best ones are Neostylis Lou Sneary, Darwinara Charm, Vandofinetia Kelly's Cloud Catcher, and Vandofinetia Blaupunkt. They all bloom out purple/blue and usually have a nice fragrance. Good luck. You're a good son. PS Brassavola is indeed a wonderful and fragrant orchid, but have a wild look and flowers that lack color, which Mom may or may not like. Neo hybrids are cute, but the Brassos are sexy, if that makes sense.

• terrestrial_man
    14 years ago

Here ia an easy orchid to grow and I would think that it is fragrant. I have Miltonia cuneata and it is very fragrant, and it is a nice fragrance too! The link is to an orchid grower in Vermont.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miltonia spectabilis

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BN, Smwboxer, Onemango, and Terrestial, thank a million. I met to come back before I got sick then totally forgot about this thread.

Boy, how time flies! Since this thread started, I have amassed dozens of Orchids and all are doing GREAT! The only ones I have are fragrant, and now I just ordered a Neofinetia falcata and a Brassavola because of you:-)

Again thanks again and so sorry for the delay. it obvious this thread still means a lot to me.

Mike

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

"Sharry baby" has to be near the top and Onc. "Twinkle".

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Tommyr

I already have two Sharry babies and 3 Onc."Twinkle".
    And boy you are right!

Thank you for that:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello everyone...

I am not sure if any of these wonderful members are still here, but I came across this thread on Google of all places and can't believe it's been 4 YEARS!

Well, here is an update..I have ALL of these suggested that has filled my greenhouse and home, and you were all right..Thanks again..I love them all...I have no favorite since they all smell so good..I do have a soft spot for the Coconut fragrance and and the Oncidiums!

I just ordered several fragrant Phals. I figured it was about time since I still have spaces in lower lit places and couldn't get over the wonderful fragrance of the 'Violacea'...)

MIke

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES