Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowing leaveson Phal pulchra

Posted by granniek SC Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 5, 11 at 15:04

I sure don't want to lose this young plant. I was happy to notice a couple weeks ago the start of a new leaf. I've had this plant for about six months and it just sat with it's two small leaves. Now those leaves are yellowing and wrinkling. Pulled out of it's pot, no good roots at all. There are two nubs where it's trying to start new roots.

How do you grow this plant? Is culture different than other species phals? I've just the started growing the species phals, about a half dozen or more and the others are doing fine. Growing in a mixture of equal parts spag and expanded clay/lava/sponge rock. I must have rotted the roots on this poor baby. TIA for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowing leaveson Phal pulchra

I grow both of my pulchra mounted but I did receive it potted and the roots were fine but I don't remember what it was growing in. If the leaves are yellowing and wrinkling I don't know if it is too late or not.

If it were mine I would either mount it or put it on a bed of moist sphag until more roots and leaves appear. I think I have new leaves appearing now but will check when I put the g/h to bed. I do know it keeps it's growing root tips year round.

I grow it the same way, same area that I grow all of my mounted phals.

I hope this helps - Brooke

o

Hi Brooke. I put a layer of damp spag in a small plastic container about 12"square and 4" deep. Gently settled the plant down in the moss. I'd been keeping it in a cool room but think I'll move it to a warmer room with better light.I guess it will be keep fingers crossed then wait and see.

Do you grow heiroglyphica (sp?)? I'm wondering how big the plants must be for first bloom. My seedling plant has really been growing well, now has at least an 8" leaf span. However the leaves are narrow and don't have a lot of substance, at least not compared to an aphrodite that I got at the same time.

I'm having a first bloom on a young stuartiana, last year the plant put out a basal kieki and that is what is spiking, not the main plant...no spikes there at all.

Thx. Sheila

o

The pulchra will appreciate the warmth and should also love more light. My pulchra has some of the keikis growing new leaves and some aren't but I suspect they all will later. This is one pulchra with all her keikis surrounding her.

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

It sounds like your hieroglyphica is big enough to bloom. The leaves are long and narrow.

You will love the stuartiana - eventually you will get multipe spikes which branch like crazy.

Brooke

o

Thx Brooke. Your pulchra is gorgeous!!! Seeing that pic last year is what encouraged, no FORCED me, to order the pulchra. ;)

I do hope it's not too late for my plant to turn around.

o

Sadly the pulchra died! So depressing :(

Brooke, hope you're reading this...the good news is the stuartiana...it has three lovely blooms. There were five buds, but this is a very small plant and I'm happy having the three blossoms. I intend to cut the spike off so the plant can use it's energies in growing.

o

You can cut the spike if it makes you feel better but it won't speed up new roots or leaf growth.

This species shortly before bloom, seals off it's root tips and they don't grow this time of year. They will develop new growing tips and leaf growth when the plant thinks it is done blooming.

I have two of these, one potted and one mounted. Last year my potted one had a family of mealies on the spike shortly after it opened. I cut it off rather than deal with them. No roots developed on the potted one until the mounted one was done blooming when they both started new roots and leaves.

It is a myth that if you remove a spike the energy goes immediately to root growth. Each species has its own growing time and we can't force it. Many Phals grow roots, leaves and blooms at the same time. Everything is determined by the genetics.

For the stuartiana I'm sure the root and leaf growth start when the temps rise.

Brooke

o

Thx so much for that bit of info, glad I posted. I'll let the spike and enjoy the blooms while they are so pretty!

o

Brooke,

For an indoor grower like me, the stuartiana grows, especially roots, and blooms at the same time???

Mine seems to be a pretty slow grower overall when compared to my shilly and others. (Of course I'm just assuming because the leaves are the same/mottled the plants should grow somewhat alike :-) )

Bob

o

Bob can you see the growing tips on the stuartiana in the pot? I never really paid attention to the root tips until last year when I cut the spike off the potted one. My potted one is a slower leaf grower than the mounted one. If yours does have growing tips, they may stay because of your constant conditions under lights. In a g/h, unless the sun is visiting, it is ugly in there.

My schillie is mounted, blooming and it doesn't have any growing tips either right now. I do not have a potted one so don't have a comparison.

I also have the phillippinensis which is blooming now but the celebensis and lindenii bloom at a different time. I'll have to check but I think the phillipie does have growing tips on the roots.

Brooke

o

Brooke,

My stuartiana is mounted and when I checked this weekend, there are at least 8-10 green active root tips and a 2" long new leaf growing. I cut the spike on this one last weekend. I grow my shilly in a pot and it has very active root tips, but hasn't sprouted a new leaf yet this winter, again cut it's spike last weekend. Both are first time bloomers for me, but I've had them @2 years.

I got another mottled one from EOoM last month, (A Hilo Lip hybrid), I was a little surprised to see the mottled leaf when it arrived? This puppy was repotted upon arrival and has just started a nub of a spike. The roots were green and growing on this plant, but then it was not in spike when it arrived and it came for HI. I use clear pots so after about 3-4 weeks, the roots seem to be growing again.

I take it the others you mention are mottled leafed also?

I'm really starting to enjoy the species phals, I probably have 15 or so currently and just ordered a violacea and bellina from Hausermnans.

Speaking of violaceas/bellinas, I know you have some of HP Norton's phals, what do you think of them? Do you have the blues and reds? I'm considering getting a Tabasco variety and one of his blues phals, but $35/ea for seedlings is pretty steep.

Thanks,

Bob

o

Bob it is amazing the different growth habits of the same two species! I wonder if the difference is you grow inside underlights and everything is stable, day in/day out. I am at the mercy of the sun, or lack thereof, in the g/h? Or if the difference is between young vs mature plant?

My stuartiana grows all it's leaves and starts growing roots tips after the blooms are done. I also have the yellow version of the stuartiana (forgot about that one :>) blooming now but it doesn't have active root tips either.

My schilleriana does have active growing tips and has a new leaf about half way to adult size. It went to judging yesterday and got an AM award.

Yes the others are also mottled leaved species and I like their foliage even better than the stuie and schillie. The blooms on the celebensis are very unique, the lindenii blooms resemble an equestris bloom and the phillipie is white.

Another beautiful mottled leaf Phal is Rothschildiana, primary of amabilis and schilleriana and blooms this time of year.

I have both the magenta and blue from Nortons. I highly recommend both or either. Both easy growers and pretty shiny apple green leaves. Seedling size usually means it will bloom next time. I don't know anything about the Tabasco.

Brooke

o

Brooke,

The Tabasco is not a violacea/bellina hybrid, just a very waxy red. There used to be listings on his sight for the Tabasco variants, but I only see 1 hybrid cross now? The Orchidview site mentions blooming sized plants for $100, so I figured seedlings really meant seedlings (4"-5" max), now knowing better I may have to try 1 or 2.

I may have to look into some of the other phals you mentioned.

Thanks,

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here