Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New orchid

Posted by paige2296 none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 18:06

So today I got an orchid for valentines day and I don't have a clue on anything about the plant. First I put it in potting soil only to read on the internet that normal soil smothers them, so I took it out and just have it sitting in its little pot with no substrate. Will this be okay to do until tomorrow when I can get coconut bark or peat moss ect...?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New orchid

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 18:20

You need to find some complete culture notes on the net written for where you are in the USA and the growing conditions you can provide.
I am assuming that you have a Phalaenopsis. Coconut Chunks or Peat moss might not be appropriate for the growing conditions that you can provide.
Yes the orchid will be fine for a day or so.....but why did you decide that it needed a repot?

o
RE: New orchid

I use a mix of New Zealand Sphagnum moss and med to small bark chunks with some volcanic rock. Phaelenopsis fare better in plastic rather than clay and require watering only when moss appears dry, about every 5 days to a week.
Water thoroughly over sink until water runs freely thru the drainage holes. Drain thoroughly. Phaels hate wet feet. Fertilize with a weak liquid fertilizer every other watering while actively growing leaves. Mist aerial roots once to twice weekly. Do not mist or get water in crown.

Phaels love high indirect light and will tolerate early to mid morning sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here