Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I buy this orchid?

Posted by elvis 3/4WI (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 18:26

I saw this at the grocery store--no pic; but maybe someone has a clue? Foliage is big and similar looking to my stanhopis, long, wide, ribbed, floppy. There are two thick spikes standing up 18" or so with a thick cluster of buds at the top. No tag, obviously, except "orchid". They want $33.00.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I buy this orchid?

Elvis,

By no means am I an orchid expert, but paying $33 for a plant with no tag seems sort of pricey...especially when you can go to sites like Oak Hill Gardens and order an orchid you want for the same or a little less than that amount.

Of course, if the no ID thing is not important to you, this orchid might just be worth the cost because of the two thick spikes.

Just my thoughts. I imagine some of the more experienced growers could offer better advice.

o

The foliage and spike sound like a cymbidium and it is the season - they are in every grocery around here.

Brooke

o

Sounds like a Cymbidium, $33 is going price around here for a plant with 2 spikes. No bargain but no rip-off either. Won't be a quality flower but you'll probably enjoy it. Why don't you get one whose flowers are open so you know what you are getting, HD, Trader Joe, Armstrong nurseries, Lowe's are full of them right now.

Nick

o

Thanks, you guys.

Got it--phaius grandiflorus tankervilliae. Nun's orchid. No one sells them here. I could wait for the weather, but it would be small, it would not be in bud, and besides, I can't resist. It's mine now, heheheh.

The foliage really does look exactly like my stanhopia...

Con.

o

The fragrance is like a perfume from a bygone era....

o

Yahoo! I have hardly any fragrant orchids--now watch her bloom while I'm gone on vacation, LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here