Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildpersimmons

small silver bugs w/ wings in my phal bark mix

wildpersimmons
16 years ago

HAven't seen them fly but they appear to have small, itty bitty grubs in the bark mix. I found these in the bowl after running warm water through the bark for a few minutes, and was able to knock out a bunch of them. This is the wrong time of the year to re-pot this phal and do work from that angle, but how to I get rid of them? What are they even? haven't encountered this kind of silver-reflective before.

Comments (6)

• bunnytheorchid
    16 years ago

If they're the ones I had in one of my phals, they actually do better in water :( I learned this after I water my phalaenopsis. But on the bright side they went away on their own, like they just died before they got too out of control. But again, I'm not sure they are the same kind. The ones I saw sound similar. I'll try to find the name of them again.

• amyleee217
    16 years ago

I would run soapy water through the mix. and I would also probably just go ahead and repot, and just be real careful with the phal afterward... its almost spring time. where are you located?

• mehitabel
    16 years ago

I'm with amy here. You don't want vermin in your pots, especially when you don't know what they are or what they're after.

Repot into a fresh pot and fresh medium. Spring is on the way believe it or not. The sun is stronger and longer every day now. Use a pot barely bigger than the roots.

Your phal will thank you with a spurt of new growth over the next few months, especially if it's in good light.

• orchid126
    16 years ago

I would wait to repot until you don't see any more. Otherwise you'll be just transferring the eggs into fresh medium. They sound like springtails. They're hardly visible until you water, and then they hope around in glee. Soapy water should do them in, once a week for three weeks.

• wildpersimmons
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've already had to repot once this winter from some problems I was having earlier (while it's growing a stalk! It might have stunted it, but it is growing a fresh new leaf since then) I'd rather wait until the apartment is consistently warm; it's been fluctuating outside from 60 to -15 here in Chicago.

Is there a recommended kind of soap to use? I'm inclined to use Dr Bronner's (what I use for almost everything) instead of a more toxic one. It is coconut, olive, hemp, and jojoba oils and works wonders in general. Would it be better just to opt for a standard soap? Anyone know what effects these oils would have on the roots?

• orchid126
    16 years ago

Dr. Bonner's Peppermint Soap is the best. Not only is it soap, which insects don't like, it's peppermint, which insects hate even more. Excellent choice.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida