Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orchid ID Please

Posted by allymarie ZONE 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 18:37

Hello everyone,

I've had this orchid for sometime and I don't know what type of orchid it is.It
seems to be growing some kind of spike for about 5 to 6 months.The spike just gets taller but no buds.Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Allymarie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orchid ID Please

Could you give us a pic of the whole plant by itself, away from the others. Hard to tell what we are supposed to be looking at. But by what you've said and what I think I'm supposed to be looking at it may be a kind of dendrobium.

o

That is very likely some kind of Mexican Laelia hybrid or maybe Schomburgkia hybrid. Their flower spikes can be slow growing.

o

Better pic.

o

Pic # 3

o

Yeah I'm going to say it's some kind of schomburgkia hybrid or even a species. They can have really tall spikes.

o

I kinda feel the same way. Schombo hybrid of some sort. Maybe a shombocattleya. I feel like the bulbs aren't quite thick enough for a straight Schombo, though I could be wrong. It's just that Schombo bulbs are hollow. That looks too think to be hollow.

o

I thought it was a cattleya but the weird spike have me confused.Thanks for the input as to what it might be.I'll post a pic if and whenever it blooms.

Allymarie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here