Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My cymbidium roots have black tips

Posted by Tanie51 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 19:38

Hello Orchid friends again,

I spent 2 hour searching for this info but found none. So, the best place is here with all you experienced orchids growers. Here is my question and I hope you can help me. Why my cymbidium roots have back tips? The new ones look white closer to the base and have nice clear green tips but the old ones, green all over but the tips are black, looked like they are half burned? Is it normal? If not, what can help to restore them to normal. Thank you in advance for your help.

Tanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My cymbidium roots have black tips

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 20:51

We might be experienced orchid growers but not for climates in Canada. I think you said you were near Calgary.

Anyway, I'm just curious, are you trying to grow a Cymbidium in the same conditions as a Phalaenopsis?

Provided the leaves look good I wouldn't worry too much about the black tips on old roots, maybe it is just because they came out of the mix and were exposed to air.

o
RE: My cymbidium roots have black tips

Yes Arthum, I live in Alberta Canada where the Rocky Mountains are! And yes too, these cymbidiums are in the same spot with my phals except for I water the cymbidiums more often than to the phals. I have the feeling my the cymbidium and oncidium like my house more than phal. Hard to say because I have one phal is giving new root and one phal just gives out another leaf. Don't know why my first phal spike gave out last November had died! These cymbidium and oncidium look healthy except for black tip of the roots. Some of them are giving out new growths too. Thank you Arthum, if you said so, then I won't worry too much about that and will see. I just don't want them to die because I am ignorant of caring for them.

Tanie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here