Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with humidity

Posted by thedogsLL 6 - Boston (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 20:05

I got the two new phals (the two still have all their blooms!), and decided to devote the tops of two filing cabinets totally to the orchids. And if I'm going to give them that space, I may as well make it home. So I ordered some new pots from Tindara, And a Humidi-Grow tray. Put the orchids on it, but the water stayed so cold, I ended up moving my kitchen thermometer, which also measures humidity, to the top of the pots. Even with the tray of water under them, the humidity was stuck at 25%.

So, I ordered a seedling mat, thinking that warming the water a little would lead to more evaporation, and higher humidity, at least in the immediate area. It's only up to around 35% tops even with that.

My biggest reason for wanting to get it higher is that it might help the original one to bloom. The spike is still growing, but no buds yet. How can I get the humidity higher, short of buying them a humidifier, that is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with humidity

In 4 words, don't worry about it. Phals grow just fine without added humidity and it really doesn't have any bearing on blooming. Temperature drops and adequate are the keys.

Trying to increase the humidity sans humidifier would be too much work for plants that really wouldn't care either way. We're talking elaborate setups/mini greenhouses. Trust me, it's not worth it.

o

LOL! As usual, I'm overthinking it. Thanks, Terp!

o

Terp is right! Forget it.

Just make sure the spike is getting enough light or it will stop growing. Light should be your #1 factor right now.

Jane

o

It's getting as much as I can give it - in a window that gets south to west sun from about noon until sunset, around 4:30 now. The room itself is pretty bright all day - east facing windows on the other side. I've got a miniblind I use to filter summer sun, but in winter I pull it up in the morning before I leave for work. It - the spike - seems healthy, just growing soooo slowly. It jumps close to an inch every time I water, but I can't water every day

o

You're doing good. Just don't change too much now...you want those flowers!

Jane

o

Truth. Keep at it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here