Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rubbing alcohol use, HELPPPPP

Posted by valthewizard 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 20:23

Isopropyl alcohol - recommended by nearly every site i found on infestations, so not supposed to be harmful to an orchid.

I was used to finding bug infestations on my plants, looking like little sticky droplets. I found these sticky drops on my orchid's stem. It's blooming so i was very worried it was going to get an infestation. I dabbed some 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol on the stems where I saw the drops, and some got onto the flowers.

I later found that those droplets were "happy sap" which was something common to orchids when they were blooming.

Will the alcohol damage the flowers? I'm very worried.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rubbing alcohol use, HELPPPPP

I got a cotton ball soaked with water and wiped the areas I got the alcohol on. I'm still a bit worried, because i may've missed some. Was touching the orchid buds and flowers not the best thing? Would that irritate the buds?

Nearly everything i read about rubbing alcohol use on orchids is the contradicted by another post. Please help me out :(

o

Specific damage to the flower I don't know. But you say you got "some" on the flowers. I'd say if you didn't bathe the flowers, the worst that will happen is spotting on the flowers where the alcohol landed...if anything.

Alcohol is often recommended as a home spray for pests. It's fine to use it's just not going to be super effective.

o

Thanks so much!!

o

Val,

I 'touch' my flowers all of the time. They have some really interesting textures at times. Part of the joy of the hobby for me...

I agree with terp as far as damage. Maybe mist them very heavily if you are too worried.

Good luck,

Bob

o

Thanks, im new with orchid growing and i never bloomed one before, and didn't know how sensitive the buds were.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here