Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Macrobulbon section of Bulbophyllum

orchidnick
13 years ago

After 14 years of looking, on and off, I have finally acquired the last of the macrobulbons. In 1997 I purchased a big Bulbophyllum from Kawamoto Orchids while on vacation in Hawaii. It had 2 tags, B phaelanopsis and B fletcherianum. I was told that if the flowers have little yellow worm like hairs it's phaelanopsis, if there are no hairs it's fletcherianum. A few years later it bloomed, no hairs and I got an AM/AOS award. They renamed it B spiesii but since then it's name has reverted to fletcherianum which is what I always have called it. That was the second award for on of these in the US, B spiesii 'Paul's Fragrance' AM/AOS. I named it in honor of my flatulent son who helped me build a green house.

That awakened my interest in the subgroup of macrobulbons but it has taken me until today to get all 6 of them. Finally secured a B cruentum from Tom Nasser at Carolina Orchids and now have the following plants:

B agastor 'Magnifico' CBR/AOS

B cruentum (not here yet but it will be)

B fletcherianum 'Paul's Fragrance' AM/AOS (the award was given to B spiesii)

B macrobulbon

B orthosepalum

B phaelanopsis 'Zuma Canyon' CMR/AOS

Sometimes you have to wonder what drives us to these endeavors. Anyway, I'm happy I finally have these six. Now am lokking for a Dendrobium dearii, also as rare as hen's teeth, if anyone has a lead, let me know.

Nick

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath