Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Macrobulbon section of Bulbophyllum

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 20:30

After 14 years of looking, on and off, I have finally acquired the last of the macrobulbons. In 1997 I purchased a big Bulbophyllum from Kawamoto Orchids while on vacation in Hawaii. It had 2 tags, B phaelanopsis and B fletcherianum. I was told that if the flowers have little yellow worm like hairs it's phaelanopsis, if there are no hairs it's fletcherianum. A few years later it bloomed, no hairs and I got an AM/AOS award. They renamed it B spiesii but since then it's name has reverted to fletcherianum which is what I always have called it. That was the second award for on of these in the US, B spiesii 'Paul's Fragrance' AM/AOS. I named it in honor of my flatulent son who helped me build a green house.

That awakened my interest in the subgroup of macrobulbons but it has taken me until today to get all 6 of them. Finally secured a B cruentum from Tom Nasser at Carolina Orchids and now have the following plants:

B agastor 'Magnifico' CBR/AOS
B cruentum (not here yet but it will be)
B fletcherianum 'Paul's Fragrance' AM/AOS (the award was given to B spiesii)
B macrobulbon
B orthosepalum
B phaelanopsis 'Zuma Canyon' CMR/AOS

Sometimes you have to wonder what drives us to these endeavors. Anyway, I'm happy I finally have these six. Now am lokking for a Dendrobium dearii, also as rare as hen's teeth, if anyone has a lead, let me know.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Macrobulbon section of Bulbophyllum

Den. dearei isnt all that rare. Mine isnt too happy after being repotted, Ill look tomorrow.

Quite jealous you found the rarer 3. I have a 'Zuma Canyon' division, macrobulbon and fletcherianum. Ive heard different things Carolina Orchids concerning identifications, but that drive for some sort of completion is difficult to shake.

o

It (B cruentum) arrived in the mail today, delayed by bad weather, definitely a nice plant. Also got a B sigaldii in spike with an umbrell of strong flowers in the process of opening. That plant had a number of synonyms like B vietnamense, B dalatense and all of the above repeated under Cirrhopetalum but Garey recently pulled it all together and now it is only known as B sigaldii. Apparently smells to high heaven, I can't wait for it to open so I can take it to my daughter's home for decoration.

I have bought from Carolina Orchids before and always was very pleased. I consider them one of the better sources of hard to find Bulbos.

Nick

o

My husband just got back from Tom's on Wednesday and yes, a few more bulbo followed him home. Enjoy your stinky family, I prefer the fragrant, as in nice, type.

Brooke

o

Brooke, your husband is a lucky man to be envied. Living close enough to Tom to actually visit.

It's an acquired taste, in the nose of the beholder. I don't get to enjoy my 'nice' orchids very much, when in bloom, my daughters haul them off to decorate their homes. The Pleuros, Stelis, Bulbos etc, are safe from these pirates.

Nick

o

Nick I guess that makes me lucky too since I live with my husband.

Brooke

o

I have no doubt you both can be considered lucky. Pardon my earlier sarcasm.

Nick

o

Nick, a Google search turned up a few den. dearii. Apparently they're out there~~

Con.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here