Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I save a Phal that got too cold?

Posted by fantomstranger none (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 20:38

Good evening all. I bought a Phal at my local garden center last week and I am thinking that it was allowed to get too cold. I saw some black spots and yellowing when I bought the plant but thought that could nurse it back to health. Today two of the larger leaves fell off and I am beginning to worry that the plant is beyond help. Any advice would be much appreciated, Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I save a Phal that got too cold?

Here is the plant

o

Should I cut off the bloom spike?

o

My 'professional' (have killed hundreds myself) opinion is that the phal is a 'goner', very bad crown rot and possible cold/fungal damage. Unless there is a special meaning, not worth the effort (1-2 years), and probably won't make it anyhow, to try and save that plant.

Sorry,

Bob

This post was edited by westoh on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 6:49

o

I agree.

o

Yeah, crown rot me thinks. Don't despread, Buy another and do NOT get any water in the center of the plant leaves and don't over water.

o

Thanks for the help, I returned the plant to the garden center and got a healthy replacement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here