Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Does anyone know where to find aPhal Orchid World "Joe" fragrant?

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

Please, can anyone tell me where to get one of these?.I have been spending days looking for one and still nothing..

Thank you so much!

Comments (5)

• cjwatson
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The only hint I can give you is that I believe Hausermann's in Chicago had these a couple years ago. I think I even remember them being on sale at one time and being tempted myself.

Dealers will remove plants from their catalog listing when they only have a few left. It wouldn't hurt to e-mail them and ask if they have a lonely plant or two sitting on a backbench there. I have frequently had success this way with many dealers.

Maybe some others here will remember different dealers who were carrying this clone as well.

Good luck.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Hi Mike, good to see you too. It is certainly easier to grow orchids in Florida compared to NY. I'm still finding it surprising how much faster they grow and bloom. The heat during summer is a challenge, as is the blazing sun. Some will bun and most can get stressed, so I still move them around, and keep them in pots for that reason.

The other difference I notice here is how easy it is to become a 'lazy' gardener. I don't keep an eye on them as much as I did in NY. Growing orchids 'well' in colder climates, requires a lot of work- in terms of temps, humidity, and light. Here, those issues practically takes care of them-self.

How are your plants doing? I hope you haven't given up on orchids :-)

Regarding your question, I never heard of this orchid. If you have access to Orchid Wiz, you could look it up and see if it's a registered name. If so, you should be able to locate a breeder. Do you have a photo?

Jane

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cjwatson..Thank you. I will check that out and see if I can find a number on that...I reall want one of these..

Hello Jane! I am thrilled to see how much you like it down there, plus the orchids and your nemisis..
    I'll bet the heat in summer is a challenge..I've been there in summer and swore it felt like an oven....
    They certainly love that HIGH humidity though, unless the threat of fungus looms...
    I'll bet you have to stick most of your plants out of direct afternoon light at times.

Boy would I love to be a lazy gardener! Sometimes that is the benefit to my greenhouse other than the fact that a few of my plants dry out the same day once it starts reaching the eighties in there with the full sun..
    I love it when you can practically ignore most plants and then when you finally have time to spend with them, you see such a stark growth and flowers to boot...That is what is happening with my Orchids now...
    Yes, I have well over 50 of them..lol
    I started out with the Angreceum because of yours and the description...Now I have about 5.

Yes, this Orchid I desire was brought up a while back in an older post a few years back under most fragrant orchids...Let me see if I can find it..I'll link you..I found it..
    It is from......Rfaser29 on Jan1, 08 at 17:24..
    Look at the very first paragrah...
    This is what I found for it in Google Imagaes..

https://www.google.com/search?q=Phal+Orchid+World+%22Joe%22,&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KzIKU7L8OabZ0QHBzIH4Dg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1251&bih=336

It's beautiful and sounds so fragrant...
    My Orchids are doing ok..Thanks...I am getting lots of surprises any time of the year which is why I love them..Whene everyone is sulking in the worst part of winter, all I have to do is close the door behind me in the greenhouse and enjoy...

We are suppose to get another Artci blast all week and boy am I tired of it...I hope it does not reach far down to you..
    What will you do if you get some very cold readings? Do you have to protect your beauties?
    I swear sometime even a cold chill for a few hours brings on flowers!
    I hope you are warm today.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion about fragrant Phals..

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Being a lazy gardener is not good.

Yes, fungal is a problem here with such high humidity. Tonight the humidity is 98%. You hardly need to water.

As CJ recommended, you should call Hausermans. They are a good nursery. I bet you will find what you are looking for.

How exciting you now have a greenhouse. How I wished I had one in NY. I bet your plants are blooming all the time. I was always impressed with the huge amount of plants you managed. Do you still grow citrus trees?

Thanks for the kind words and it is always nice to hear from you,

Jane

• whitecat8
    10 years ago

Hey Mike,

What CJ said about Hausermann's.

I feel for you. Periodically, I just *have* to have a specific orchid and zoom in on finding it. Nothing's on my list right now, so I just zoomed in (obsessed) on 'Joe.' Here's what's turned up.

Phal Orchid World was registered in 1984, and the cultivar Orchid World 'Joe' was awarded in 1989. Rfraser's thread that you linked was from 2008, so chances of finding this particular cultivar may be slim. On the other hand, it's been wildly popular, so maybe loads of hobbyists still have plants.

In that thread, Richard said, "As to Joe, the fragrance starts out kind of spicy and ends up candy like in a sort of bubble-gummy way."

If it's any consolation - when I've been at Orchids Limited, different people have sniffed the same flower and have described the scent in way different ways.

Options:
    1. Contact Discover Orchids, although they may not be in business anymore. It's difficult to tell from their site: http://www.discoverorchids.com/. They list Orchid World 'Joe,' but their photo is from a 1999 blooming.

2. Post a message here for Richard Fraser - evidently, you can't email him from his member page: Where did he get his plant, has it had a keiki in the meantime & maybe he'd be willing to part with it, etc.?

3. Contact Peter Lin @ Big Leaf Orchids, who's had this one in the past. http://www.bigleaforchids.com/ If he doesn't have 'Joe,' perhaps he can suggest another cultivar - 'Carmela' or 'Bonnie Vasquez,' or another Phal that smells the same, at least to him.

4. Also, post on his forum, which has several threads about Orchid World. Unfortunately, the most recent thread seems to be from 2010.

5. Contact Olympic Orchids, http://shop.olympicorchids.ihost.net. They have an orchid finder service.

6. Post on other orchid forums re: sources, extra plants, keikis, etc. For example, in 2012 this OP had a large, healthy-looking plant, and another person in the same thread had 2 keikis: http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchidtalk/phalaenopsis-oncidium-intergenerics-bloom/33670-phalaenopsis-orchid-world-joe.html

7. Start a new thread here to ask if others have 'Joe' or other cultivars that smell the same to them.

8. Look for a different Orchid World cultivar - a different one might have the same scent... *but* might be as difficult to find as 'Joe.' Here's a comment on cultivar names from Ray Barkalow of First Rays Orchids, but the year of the post doesn't seem to be given.

The OP was asking about the parents of Phal. Orchid World 'Carmela.' 'Bonnie Vasquez' is another cultivar.

From Ray: Actually Joanna, 'Carmela' and 'Joe' could be from the very same parents.

Basically, once a cross is bloomed and named, such as Orchid World, each and every plant from the cross of Malibu Imp and Deventeriana - even if it's the reciprocal cross, Deventeriana x Malibu Imp - is Orchid World.

From among the different Orchid Worlds out there, some are likely to have outstanding characteristics, so the owner has the right to attach a cultivar name to the plant, in these cases, 'Joe' and 'Carmela.' They could have been from the very same seed capsule or from a totally different set of parents.

Anyone can attach a cultivar name to any plant they own that does not already have one. There is no registration involved as there is for grex names like "Orchid World." If I got a particularly nice Orchid World, I could print the tag to say Phalaenopsis Orchid World 'First Rays', but if I had 'Joe' it would always be 'Joe'.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids
    Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, and Lots of Free Info!
    http://www.mombu.com/orchids/orchids-gardens/t-question-about-parents-10853995.html

Hopefully, something in here will be helpful.

Best, WhiteCat8

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid finder, Olympic Orchids