Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP!!! Newbie with Orchid Plant.

Posted by amandadee none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 20:49

Hi. I just received a phalenopsis orchid plant as a gift. I received it from Westerlsy Orchids. Ive been researching on how to care for my plant but I am very confused. I have a few questions and hopefully someone can help me. I don't want my beautiful plant to die on me.

1. First my plant came in a clear plastic liner, with a drainage hole on the bottom. Should I leave the plant in the plastic liner or remove it and place it in a regular pot?

2. The company that sent me my flower also sent me a package with what I think might be dirt/fertilizer. I really dont know. So i will post a picture of it and if someone can tell me what it is and what it is use for.

3. I am looking at the top of the soil and some of the roots are coming out. They look a little dry. I dont know if I should water them or wet them. But the rest of the moss underneath feels moist already. So i dont want to overwater them.

I would really appreciate the help. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP!!! Newbie with Orchid Plant.

Upon receiving any active plant thru any form of transit, water thoroughly.
Phaelenopsis orchids like high indirect light, but will tolerate early to mid morning sun. Water once a week or so. Water thoroughly when the Sphagnum moss looks dry. Allow pot to drain completely before returning to its place.

About that clear pot, many orchid growers believe that Phael roots may photosynthesize a bit. A few roots may grow above ground, and that is just fine. Let them be aerial, and mist them once or twice a week.

I don't know about that mix pictured in your post, but it doesn't look like a good mix. Phaelenopsis orchids don't grow in soil. They like a 50/50 fine bark and Sphagnum moss mix c biweekly liquid fertilizer

And finally, as the days grow shorter and cooler, your Phael will start to spike, depending on its age.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here