Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ciee

Normal for Orchid?

ciee
16 years ago

Hi!, I recently receive an orchid from my boyfriend for Valentine's day, this is my first time growing an orchid. It is called Phalaenopsis Philippinensis, after receiving the orchid, i went online to read about orchid care. The website that i found say that a healthy orchid leaf is when it is light green but mine doesn't even come close. It look like this.

{{gwi:145989}}

So my question is: Is this normal? If not, what can i do. Also another question is that the flowers have wilted, literally all of them, they arrived that way.

{{gwi:145990}}

Should i cut off the spike? if so..where do i cut? Thanks!!! Catherine

Comments (5)

• gmgpk
    16 years ago

The leaves look perfectly normal. Some types of phalaenopsis have variegated or mottled foliage. As to the spike, yes, I'd cut it back. Snip it off about half an inch from the base of the plant. Welcome to the world of orchids.

• toyo2960
    16 years ago

Yes, your leaves should be mottled. Phalies are basically warm-growing orchids. They don't like night temps below 65 degrees. Relatively high humidity. Moderate light. They say that phalies grow in darker conditions, but I've found that they bloom better with brighter light. Never place any orchid in a north facing window. Try to put it in a south-facing window. But out of direct light so it won't get leaf burn. Cut the main infloresense (raceme) down to the 3rd node up from the bottom. On the "stem" there will be subtle nodes or sectional bract-like features. Cut just above the third node. With many phalie species and hybrids, the flower spike will sometimes branch off from one of the nodes. Always cut any part of the plant with sterilized tools. A fresh disposable razor blade. Or a pruner shear that has been sterilized by heat (a propane blow torch works, flame till red hot). Dirty cutting tools carry the possibility of plant virus. Viruses are incurable. An infected plant will eventually lose vigor and become a "typhoid Mary" to other plants. Phallies like to be kept moist, but do not overwater. Since they do not have natural water storage features like pseudobulbs of cattleyas and other bulbous orchids, phalies like to be kept evenly moist. But again, don't let the plant sit in water. An over-watered orchid will lose roots to rot and die. Quickly. Do not get water in the crown of the plant (where the new leaves form). Standing water in the crown can cause crown rot. Water early in the day (morning) so the plant has time to dry out before nightfall. Good air circulation will help avoid diseases like fungus. Fertilize with a balanced water-soluble orchid food once a month. Watering depends on what media the plant is planted in. If planted in moss, you don't have to water as often. Moss retains moisture for a long time. Bark mix dries out faster, so you may have to water every 2 or 3 days. But never water every day. Let the plant "dry out" between watering. Phalies are epiphytes (they grow in trees in South East Asia in forests. It showers most every day, but the roots are exposed and have a chance to dry out because of air movement. Good luck and have fun.

• highjack
    16 years ago

Welcome ciee - what a wonderful gift! You have a Phal. philippinensis, which is a species. Note the correct spelling is with a small p.

It has slightly different needs than most phals. It needs to dry out between waterings. I can't tell from your picture what the potting media is but careful watering is a must. When you repot I would suggest a bark mix rather than a sphag mix so it remains quite open.

They also bloom slightly different - they open most of their buds at one time. It is also known to have multiple branches on the spike and is quite a show. I could be wrong but I don't think this species branches from cut spikes.

This species will take quite a bit of light so close to an east or south window is best. The foliage will lighten up and become almost a silver background with dark green spots. It is a beautiful plant even without blooms.

Good luck - Brooke

• orchid126
    16 years ago

If you accidentally get water in the crown of the plant wick it out with a tissue or paper towel. Water laying in the crown can cause a swift death.

• richardol
    16 years ago

The "light green leaves" is an over generalization. For some types it is really important and for some not. This is a variation of the saying about orchids that "if you are growing beautiful deep green foliage, all you will grow is beautiful deep green foliage". Your plant looks very good.

The right leaf color varies with type from the typical darker green for a Phal to a very pale green for a Miltonia that looks like it can't be healthy.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living