Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baby orchid

Posted by zzzztime Wisconsin (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 23:23

Hi,
I have had this plant for a few years. About a year ago it started looking unhealthy, and about 9 months ago it sprouted this baby. It has taken 9 months for the baby to get this big. The 2 leaves are growing very slowly, but the 1 very tiny root has been the same size for quite a while. Although the main plant doesn't look good, it actually is looking better then it did. My question is- should I do something with it. I have read that you should wait until the root/s are over 1 inch long, but I'm worried that the 1 little root is dieing. I do spray the baby when I water.
Thank you
I will send another pic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baby orchid

zzzztime, Have you repotted your phaleanopsis since you've had it? I'll bet that if you unpot it you'll find most of the roots have rotted. It's easy to overwater these and kill the roots. If the roots are OK it's struggling for some other reason.

Regardless, the issue you have now is potting up the kekei(baby). I had a phal that did 2 kekeis two years ago and like you I waited hoping to see more root action. It didn't happen. So I cut them off and repotted into their own container. At first I tried to pin it into a pot next to the mother phal. That didn't work for me so I snipped them off. One had almost no roots, the other one had about 1 1/4". Both are doing OK now and have their own root system. Both have small flowers that should open soon.
I repotted in March of last year.

Good Luck.

o
RE: baby orchid

The keiki probably isn't growing much because the mother plant just doesn't have any energy to provide for it. With my 20+ years of experience, I would repot the main plant first trying to get it growing again and that will get the keiki growing better and strong enough to live on its own.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here