Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does unused bark go bad?

Posted by chrysbiz 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 2:11

I'm repotting an orchid for the first time... from bark to bark. I have some unused orchid bark that is several years old... and has been stored properly. Is it still good? Can unused bark also decay in such a way that it loses nutrients/minerals?

My other question I can probably find in a FAQs. I removed as much bark as I could, but the root are still clinging to a lot of pieces. I guess I should ignore that and continue with the transfer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does unused bark go bad?

Bark that is dry will keep pretty much forever. As for nutrients, the medium is not the source so it doesn't matter.

If a piece of root has a firm hold on a piece of bark and the choice is a clean but damaged root, I say let the root keep it. That being said, if there are still a lot of pieces, you may need to try again. Almost all of these pieces will come off without root damage.

o

You might try soaking the roots for a couple of hours in tepid water to see whether or not the bark can break loose. It should make the roots more flexible and less brittle. Easier to repot.

o

Try and disturb the plant as little as possible. Orchids do not need repotting often. If you are worried about the status of your bark - and it can harbor many bacterial/ fungal conditions - put the quantity you need in a plastic/glass container and microwave it for 3 minutes. That will get rid of most nasties.

o

Hi
Are you in Florida?? I almost never use bark due to the constant breakdown of the material . MY favs. for most epiphytes are either mounted, Tree fern or crushed lava rock
Contained in a pot of course Growing outdoors or indoors??
gary

o

gary,

I agree re: YOUR favorite potting media. Great for south Florida.

--Stitz--
(in Maryland)

o

Nope, I'm in California. I'll try soaking the roots. That may work somewhat, though it may also make the roots more vulnerable to breaking... but it's worth a try. Thanks for the responses everyone. I figured the bark would be okay, and it's been stored nicely.

chrysbiz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here