Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My poor little Phalaenopsis

Posted by nelumbo 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 4:08

Hi everyone!

About 1 week ago I went to the flower shop and bought a bouquet for a birthday. Then I saw one poor Phalaenopsis and it has 2 leaves (both of them has broken (not all leaf but still)) and only 3-4 roots. The roots were sad, too. I'll let you some pictures of them. Then maybe you can see and say, what can I do with it.

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee400/Sequoiadendron/?action=view¤t=SAM_0182.jpg

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee400/Sequoiadendron/?action=view¤t=SAM_0182.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A//s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee400/Sequoiadendron/%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DSAM_0183.jpg

Will it survive? I have transplant it, too but I don't know, what to do next?

Denis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My poor little Phalaenopsis

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 12:40

I'm in the same boat as you Denis. I bought 2 Phals that were on sale because they had finished flowering. Both looked very healthy when I bought them. Since then, I noticed that one of them was drooping badly so I took a close look and noticed it had mealy bugs. I solved that problem but it didn't do any better so I repotted. It was then I noticed that the pot it had been in, still had the holes sealed, no one had bothered to punch them out! When I took it out of its pot, I noticed that the roots were mostly rotted. I cut most of them away but amazingly the plant is setting buds. I finished repotting and am now hoping it survives. Think it will stay alive? I will be following this thread to see what advice you get. Marg

o

I got to tell you that I don't think that fella looks too good. I am not a big fan of bringing plants like that back to life myself. But usually when a phal is missing the more recent leaves it is a goner.It barely has any roots either to support it.
You could bag it in some sphagnum moss and see how it goes...

o

My opinion is strictly anecdotal but I think that it will pull through. It is a matter of patience because I am sure it is going to take some time for it to recover (of course assuming it recovers). I purchased a sad little phal like that a while ago. It took almost 18 months for it to recover fully. It sent out a flower spike about a year after I got it but I had to cut it back because it was taking too much energy from the plant. However my sad little phal is much happier now. It just took a looong time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here