Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Just Repotted Phal - Now it's Moldy??

Posted by Brights none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 4:32

I bought a Phal a few months ago, and just recently repotted it. I noticed the other day that all around the top of the moss I had used it had gotten fuzzy. Like moldy fuzzy. Was my moss contaminated with fungus or bacteria somehow, before I even used it?
I feel that I water sparingly, and I didn't pack the moss down tightly.
I intend to repot it again to correct the mold issue. Is there something I can do to "sterilize" the moss before I use it? I tried to be clean when I repotted it in the first place, but maybe it wasn't good enough. Should I microwave the moss to kill everything, let it cool, then use it? I'm really not sure what I need to do.

Thank you for your help!


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Just Repotted Phal - Now it's Moldy??

You might want to repot it into a bark mix, rather than moss. It's less likely to get moldy, and I've found that my phals do fine in bark.


 o
RE: Just Repotted Phal - Now it's Moldy??

Thanks Susan, is there a specific kind of bark that would need to be used?


 o
RE: Just Repotted Phal - Now it's Moldy??

What are your growing conditions and what zone are you in?
Sounds like the plant is being kept too damp and underlit. Could you provide more info.

Jane


 o
RE: Just Repotted Phal - Now it's Moldy??

I find it very odd your moss has become moldy. I grow lots of plants in moss which are kept moist if not almost wet all the time and have never seen any sign of mold. What kind of moss is this? Sphag or something else? Could you post a photo?

Kevin


 o
RE: Just Repotted Phal - Now it's Moldy??

I just use the same bark mix I use for my catts. It's more forgiving if you ever over water, I think.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here