Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fleaseyelash

Angraecum sesquipedale

fleaseyelash
11 years ago

Wish to purchase this plant from an on line retailer. Thanks in advance.

Comments (27)

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    11 years ago

Oak hills gardens has one but it is not blooming size. You could contact them about its size and estimated time to reach blooming size.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    11 years ago

While the topic is up, I am interested in getting tips for growing this orchid in a bright window. If any one has suggestions, they are appreciated. :-)

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    11 years ago

While the topic is up, I am interested in getting tips for growing this orchid in a bright window. If any one has suggestions, they are appreciated. :-)

• andres_zone3
    11 years ago

Amazing plant. This is one I want to get. Does it only bloom once a year?

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Yes.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    11 years ago

Jane - Your angraecums are marvelous. I was hoping that you would respond. I received one to nurse back to health. it is not in terrible shape but it is a little dehydrated. I hope that I can treat it well enough make it flourish.

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Do you have a photo? These are easy plants to grow. Just watch your watering. I think ideally they would prefer to be mounted but mine does well in large, chunk bark. They like drip-dry treatment. Don't use sphag or perlite. Just large bark. Let it dry out completely before watering again (at least I do).

I can't think of anything special about growing them. To be honest, they are so easy I forget about them until they begin spiking. No disease, bugs or anything. Very hardy!

Jane

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Jane
    this might be one to add to my vanda bed Maybe in the lower part to get some shade?? i'm getting a lot more light in spite of winter due to the growth of the palms I started a phal area in the heavy shade of a cassia last summer and have been pleasantly surprised at the growth rate though it's been a VERY mild winter for sure gary

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Gary, not sure they need as much sun as your Vandas. The Angs have wide, thick leaves and burn in strong sun. This Florida sun is a challenge to me. I keep moving my plants around trying to find the right light. I don't have a lot of shade trees.

If you have the spot, go for it. They take the cold, heat, everything you can dish out. Tough plants.

Jane

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    11 years ago

Hi Jane. I dont have one but i will get a picture of my plant to post today. I put it in a large pot with large bark, sponge rock, and clay pellets. That was the advice given to me by one of the local growers. Previously it was in wooden basket with large bark but it was pretty dehydrated. I could actually see the shriveled roots in the basket. That was the reason for the move into the pot. So far the plant seems to be improving. I can even see a small new leaf forming. Still, I am concerned about killing it. From your advice, it sounds like growing this angraecum is all about getting the watering down.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    11 years ago

My little Angraecum has a long way to go.

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Its just a baby!

Does look dry to me. Maybe soak the pot in some water to get the bark to absorb better.

Don't get discouraged...they grow quite fast.

Jane

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    11 years ago

Thanks, Jane. I will give it a good soak. Hopefully my baby will grow up big and strong like yours one day.

• yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
    9 years ago

Jane your Angraecum sesquipedale is beautiful. Can u post a new picture to see how big they grow with the years :-)

Thanks
    Yeni

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Mine has grown quite big. It is blooming later than ever. Not sure why except we had a few weeks of cool weather in Dec. and Jan. It has lots of buds on both side of the plants. .

Just a beautiful plant which needs a lot of space. Would not recommend this plant unless you can give it room.

Jane

{{gwi:2118832}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

That is one sweet plant, Jane. You'll have to give another update when its in full bloom. Thanks.

tj

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

Jane, I've heard that they rarely lose their leaves. Is that true? Thanks.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I have never lost a leaf. Some sunburn when I first moved down and I cut the leaf but not naturally. It sends out offshoots so it gets wider and wider with more flowers. I would never divide it.

Great plant, got it as a gift from my dear friend Clara. It came from Oakhill.

I don't understand why it is not popular. Its a fantastic plant and very easy to grow.

Shot taken today. Starting to open. Weather very windy and cool, may have to bring it inside. Temps supposed to go into the low 40's the next few days.

Jane

9 years ago

Wow how beautiful... I will like to have one in the future ðÂÂÂ... Do you repotted it ?
    What do you used for media?

7 years ago

Hi jane how are you and how is your angreacum doing with the blooms:)

• jane__ny
    7 years ago

No blooms for a while. Just started spiking. Probably late December or January before flowers.

Jane

7 years ago

Mine has two spikes the plant is slowly growing is small like 1/4 the size of yours ...lol... hopefully will get there... do you know you were my inspiration to get one ;)

• jane__ny
    7 years ago

Awww, I'm so glad. They are so beautiful, but they get so big. Not many people grow them. They are relatively easy and yet so rewarding.

Make sure you post your photos when it blooms!

Jane

• aztcqn
    7 years ago

Jane your angreacum is spectacular! It's nice to see the growth progress in pictures. You know how to take care of your plants. Do you use RO water on your orchids?

• jane__ny
    7 years ago

I used RO for most of its life until I moved to Florida. For the past 4 years I water all my orchids with rain water which I collect in multiple rain barrels. I also used rain barrels in NY when the plants went outside for the summer.

I had a RO system set up at my kitchen sink for drinking and winter watering. I won't drink tap water, nor give it to my plants.

Jane

• aztcqn
    7 years ago

Your plants certainly reflect that extra care for yours and their health. :]

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional