Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westoh

Tax Refund buys?

westoh Z6
13 years ago

Wife and I decided to take a little of the refund and splurge on ourselves. She picked a pedicure and clothing, I picked the following from Hausermanns/Fox Valley:

Phrag. Mem. Dick Clements (BS 20")

Paph. Venutsum (NBS 5"-6")

Phal violacea (4"-5" seedling)

Phal bellina [violacea var. borneo] (4"-5" seedling)

Dtps Gold Tris (In spike)

Phal Sogo Grape (In double spike)

Received yesterday, no hangers-on and everything seemed in very good shape. I'm pretty happy...

I've also been looking at the Phrag kovachi hybrid at junesorchidestates highlighted on the back of the March Orchids mag, can't decide if I want to pull the trigger or not for $60 shipped for a 5" BS 'kid. It's kovachii x besseae or Fritz Schomburg.

Anyone else buying now?

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Phrag Fritz Schomburg

Comments (18)

• smwboxer
    13 years ago

Got my refund last week but am saving it for the SEPOS show next week. The vedors should have some great stuff.

• highjack
    13 years ago

Bob check out the Norton website, they usually have this primary hybrid. You could also get some of the blue Phals :>)

I got my Fritz from them several years ago and love it. It is blooming now with multiple blooms open because the spike branches.

BTW my Fritz does not want wet feet. I find some bessae 'chids don't care for it but some are OK with sitting in water.

I don't know if I spent my refund but brought in several new ones from Andy and Carolina Orchids about three weeks ago.

Brooke

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brooke,

Do you know if the Dick Clements likes wet feet?
    BTW: I had ordered these before our blue phal discussion, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one of H.P.'s blue phals in the next week or two, but his Fritz's are $35 for a 2 1/2" seedling. I think the 5" BS at $60 shipped may be the better deal on this one.

Thanks,

Bob

• highjack
    13 years ago

I don't have or know anything about Dick Clements. Besides Fritz I had a Jason Fischer I almost killed sitting in a saucer of water but am babysitting another JF that does great in a saucer. I don't have a clue why one is fine and one hates the saucer. They sit next to each other.

Here's my Fritz from a couple of years ago. Kovachii dramatically increase the size of bessae.

{{gwi:147199}}

Yes you need the blue seedlings.

Brooke

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brooke,

Pulled the trigger with H.P. and Katherine, 2 blue phal seedlings and a Samera seedling.
    Just couldn't justify their Fritz...

Looking forward to receiving these!!!

Bob

• highjack
    13 years ago

Good job! I got a compot of Samera seedlings in the fall of '09 and four of the five bloomed last summer. All gorgeous but one has tremendous form and doesn't do the reflexing that bellina is known for. They all have fabulous fragrance and the leaves are gorgeous.

Who said men aren't good shoppers!

Brooke

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

What's a tax refund?

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CJ,

It's the thing the house payments and the wife being out of work (different tax bracket although my W4 still reflects her working as far as # of dependents and withholdings) for 1.5 years generate ;-) or is it :-(

Bob

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

Never seen a tax refund in all my years ... sigh.

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CJ,

Have any of H.P.'s phals or phrags?
    If so, what do you think?

If I hadn't already brought in 10-12 additional plants in the last month, I could have easily spent several hundred $ on thier selections, neat stuff.

Bob

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

No, Bob, I have never bought from HP. I stopped buying Phals -- I already have most species -- and keep a few species Phrags and some old beloved hybrids I have had for years. I haven't kept up with what's new and wonderful.

Besides, I shot my March mad money on a Malala order through Botanica.

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I saw on another forum where you had showed interest in Malala. They have the African and Madagascar types don't they? I grow a Ang. eburneum that I got as a seedling from Oak Hills @2 years ago. It's now over 20" tall and very wide. Has a neat growth habit and is pretty interesting in itself, but once it blooms I'll probably look to move it out to make more room.

I'm replacing 20-30 violaceas species and hybrids I lost a few years back, so I keep an eye out for anything affordable or interesting in that line.

I think we discussed Dowery bellina's a few months back, mine which was very large and going bonkers developed crown rot this winter and now I'm just hoping it keikies before it totally croaks. Still lots of leaves and root growth, but nothing from the crown :-( I've bought a replacement, but it will take several years to get it to the same stage...

Bob

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It took 6 weeks for the weather to be right and to resolve a problem with the original shipment last week, but I've received my plants from Orchidview.

I must say: I am delighted!!!

First, Katherine and I finally agreed to ship my original 3 plant phal order last Monday, there were cold weather issues for the previous 5 weeks. Long story short, something got messed up in shipping (my post office lost it???) and I never received the plants, they were returned to Orchidview last Saturday. I had been tracking the shipment and contacted Orchidview once I realized the shipment got messed up. After a couple of e-mails back and forth and telling Katherine I really liked their phrag offerings and would probably consider getting one or two in the future, she and I decided to try again this week and for my trouble she added a BS Phrag. Cahaba Glow (1 mature growth and 1 new growth). She said she would also sell me a 3 1/2" NBS Fritz Schomberg for $60 (1 small mature growth, 1 larger nearly mature growth).
    So, I this morning I received:
    The 2 phrags mentioned
    1 Phal violacea ('Blue July 4th' x 'Gaston Bleu') LS
    1 Phal violacea ('Bonnie Blue' x 'Blue Beard') SS
    1 Phal Samera (bellina 'Orchidview Blue' x' violacea 'Blue Chip') NBS

All arrived in good shape and I'm darn happy.
    Will do more business with Orchidview in the future and Katherine was absolutely wonderful to work with.

Bob

• orchidnick
    12 years ago

Tax refund? Who dat? During my former life the IRS was constantly chasing me for money, now that I'm retired I haven't talked to them and they haven't talked to me for over 6 years. I love the peace and quiet, hope it stays that way.

Nick

• terpguy
    12 years ago

No refund here. I owed a lot :( Tis the bain of having multiple jobs.

• highjack
    12 years ago

Bob I'm sure you will love them all. My Fritz was blooming when you first started the thread and he is still blooming.
    The vios and Sameras are all starting to spike around here so the Norton show will go on.

Hope you post pictures soon.

Brooke

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brooke,

The Samera actually has a very small spike, so maybe a flower this summer. The vio's may take a year or two yet.

I'm really starting to enjoy phrags, I have a Hanne Popow in bloom sitting in my window here at work, absolutely a great show (1st bloom with 3 mature growths, 2 new growths, 2 spikes and 2 orange/red and yellow blooms currently, with 2+ more on their way). It really looks nice next to the Sky-Blue phal I received as a joke :-)

From your Fritz pic, I'd guess you have the 'Katherine' cultivar, mine doesn't say so we'll see. I do like the deeper colored 'Katherine' over the pinkish 'Peaches and Cream' though. I mentioned to Katherine that I liked reds, we'll see what she picked for me.

I've always had a thing for violaceas and bellinas, so the 3 phals will be enjoyed.

Bob

• highjack
    12 years ago

Bob my Fritz was just out of the flask when I received it so it has no cultivar designation as yet. I want to have mine judged some day but the blooms are not cooperating with the judging schedule :>)

I'm sure you will see the Samera this season. Four of five of mine bloomed last season and my non-bloomer last year has now got a spike.

Brooke