Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clear Liquid Oozing from Orchid

Posted by tantadoodles z6 CT (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 8:21

I have had this phaleonopsis orchid for a little over a year. It has a stalk with several swelling buds and I have been anxiously awaiting for it to bloom again.

Recently, I noticed a clear sticking fluid oozing from the upper portion of the stalk. I've wiped it away but it just comes back. I cannot see any evidence of bugs.

What can this be and is my plant in danger?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clear Liquid Oozing from Orchid

I bet it's bugs. Wipe the stalk with a 1 part alcohol / 1 part liquid soap / 8 parts water and this should disappear.

Nick

o

• Posted by donaldb 5B Worcester, MA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 10:09

Carefully examine the stalk for small round disk like spots.
Could be scale. If there is no evidence this is normal it's a sugary sap. The following is an excerpt from Burnham Nurseries:The flowers naturally produce a sugary nectar that encourages insects to pollinate the flowers in the wild. Some types make a lot of this, which then can drip onto the leaves. Simply wipe in off with a damp cloth so and not to encourage mildew which can grow on it. This nectar can also encourage aphids to the flowers, which will breed quickly and spread amongst your plants. Wash these off too with slightly soapy water.

o

I'd go out on a limb here and say its natural honeydew. This sugary exudate most frequently occurs at certain sites of rapid cell expansion; usually new leaves and the spike. Because you're spike is growing at a nice rate, it gives off this exudate. As mentioned, this helps attract pollinators.

o

I second Terpguy.

Jane

o

I am with terpguy and Jane-----I think it is honeydew. It will also appear on your outside plants. You normally don't see it When you water your garden or even the morning due will wash it off. Lastyear here in Western Washington we had a drought (yes no rain in Washington for weeks).
I went out to pick cherries and every leaf and branch on the tree was covered with the honeydew. When the rains started it was gone. But before you blow it off make sure you don't have any sucking insects like scale, and aphids.
They will secrete the same honeydew ooz.

o

To check for insects, wipe the underside of the leaves with a clean damp cotton ball. If you see any specks, you have a problem.

o

I third Jane.

--Stitz--

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here