Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about a phal type dendrobium

Posted by anna_in_michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 8:50

Hi guys, I got an orchid a few months back that someone on here helped me identify as a phal type dendrobium. I just have a question really quick - and feel free to answer me like a kindergartner because I know about as much as one would.
It has two flower stalks on it, one of which just recently became bare and I am wondering if I need to trim it back at all? Does anyone else have any other tips? We have just kept it in the container and mix that we got it in and I wonder if it is suitable (I removed the paper from the container). Also, I have it in a south facing window, is that correct light? Thanks!

Here is an older picture from before the flowers died off:
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc384/sbos01/100_3467.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about a phal type dendrobium

Anna, you can put your pic. in the link to save people copying and pasting....

You can cut off spent flower stems because they will not bloom again and as far as tips go there is little i can tell you except that your orchid needs warm temperatures all year with perhaps a slight cooling down in autumn.

The "Phal" bit comes from Dendrobium phalaenopsis a tropical orchid that comes from places to the north of Australia. Orchid breeders have used other Dendrobium species as well and some of those species have made the hybrids
more tolerant of slightly cooler conditions and in some instances make the plant flower at different times during the year.

Find some complete culture notes on the net that relate to climate zones similar to that of Michigan and go from there.

Good luck with the orchid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann's Phal Type Den

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here