Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gina1958_gw

Schomburgika Tibicinus

Gina1958
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. I was doing some research on orchids that like bright sun (I live in Orlando) and came upon the Schomburgika Tibicinus, which I think is also called the Flute Player's Orchid. If anyone knows any sites that may sell them, I'd appreciate hearing from you. I'm really having a hard time finding anyone that carries it.

Comments (14)

• allymarie
    10 years ago

Hi Gina! I live not to far from RF Orchids and they sell that particular orchid.They have it growing on a few plam trees.
    Checkout their website, RF Orchids.com.

Allymarie

• allymarie
    10 years ago

Hi Gina! I live not to far from RF Orchids and they sell that particular orchid.They have it growing on a few plam trees.
    Checkout their website, RF Orchids.com.

Allymarie

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

Hi I live in Stuart and I am familiar With R.F. Orchids. They provide the highest quality material. They do ship. But it is worth the effort if you have the time to see RF Orchids. It is a destination to itself. If you go plan at least an hour at RF.

I have transplanted one from my shade house to several palmettos. I did not realize that this plant has a 9' spike! It needed to be moved. I do not know if you can do that in Orlando as it gets much colder there than here. Seek local knowledge...

P.S. While you are there plan time, at least 3 hours, to see David Fairchild Gardens. The AOS is HQ'd there and the gardens this time of the year is special. The Biltmore Hotel for lunch and see Viscaya. Good planing you could see 2 or 3.

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 1:02

10 years ago

I did not know the full name. Thanks. Mine bloomed last May.

10 years ago

This shows the long spike. It measured over 9'.

• allymarie
    10 years ago

Your Schombergkia is lovely SM.RF Orchids is a wonderful nursery to visit.The owners live next door to the nursery and on weekends they have free tours of their gardens with a cup of lemonade. The garden is a heavenly place with orchids and tropicals everywhere. They once had an alligator in their sinkhole pond. Fairchild TBG sure is beautiful and it has lots of garden shows this time of year so it's worth a visit.

10 years ago

Look what I found! Thank you Gina. And it is less than a year since being divided. I'll keep an eye on it for sure. I was trying to anticipate how the long spike would drape off of the tree. I thought I'd be waiting a couple of years or more. Because it is blooming quick since mounted, I'll consider moving the plant higher up the tree if the blooms hit the ground. Now that it will have less roots now than a few years from now. I hope it does not need moving. I like the nickname flute players orchid...

There a few chunks of very beautiful spaces still left in southeast dade county. If I had to live in dade I'd make it a must to live near Fairchilds. Allymarie do you take in the various horticulture events that happens in your area?

• allymarie
    10 years ago

I don't go as much as I use to.I love plants and especially orchids so I stay away from shows because I'll buy and bawl later.Your Schomburgkia is a healthy specimen. Please keep us posted on the growing spike.A friend of mine has a Schombergkia,or I think it is,that has three spikes.I can't wait to see the blooms . Here's a pic.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I almost bought one, thought I'd tie it it a tall Palm tree. Had second thoughts as I thought it would look weird. In Florida, they call them 'snowbird orchids' because the folks who only come down for the winter, tie them to trees and can forget them. They always get flowers. Lots of sun and dry, but those spikes are soon long.

Jane

• allymarie
    10 years ago

They do very well on palm trees and I believe native to So Fl..I just came back from a garden tour at RF Orchids and the Schomburgkia orchid is growing in big clumps on numerous palm trees.I will go back when they are in bloom.They are also called cowhorn, banana and cigar orchids.

Allymarie

• allymarie
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of the flower from the Schomburgkia I posted above.My friend said she sent numerous pics to someone on the internet and they identified it as Schomburgkia Myrmecophila Grandiflora.

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

Yeah, the orchid name masters have decided that schomburgkia doesn't exist, it's myrmecophila. But we all know them as schomburgkias....

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    think I'll try one of these on my coat rack pruned Schizolobium tree. will be around 15 feet off the ground so will have lots of room . Any other sources?? While RF is a wonderful place the prices are outrageous lol gary

10 years ago

They are from the new world, but not florida. I think it is Central America and northern South America. Palm trees make excellent hosts for many orchids. The texture of the bark on coconuts and palmettos is perfect. There are grooves that the roots follow looking for water. I place them on the east side of the tree to provide morning sun. I'll use the quadrant of east that suits the plant best. Like Northeast for less light and southeast for more light.