Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
systemics

Posted by milwdave Zone5 Milwaukee (milwdave_us@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 10:55

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but could someone give me some info on the use of systemic insecticides for orchids?

Is it practical?
suppliers?
techniques for use, if any?

Thanks so much in advance.

Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: systemics

The Bayer systemics are available at most big box store. I prefer the Bayer product with two insecticides, one kills instantly and one is systemic. The other one is just the systemic insecticide.

You can buy the Bayer products either ready to use or as a concentrate and it has to be diluted.

There are other systemics but I've never used them so can't recommend them. Hopefully someone else will jump in.

I do a total of two treatments, one week apart. I saturate the foliage and media both times.

Brooke

o

Had a scale outbreak 2 to 3 month ago and got it under control with the Bayer from HD. Applied it 3 times, twice would probably have been enough.

Nick

o

Systemics should be applied to the point of run-off. That is, not just a light spray. And as Nick and Brooke say, two or three times, a week apart. Bayer is one of the systemics that work.

Of course, don't spray on a windy day. Also, it might be wise to spray in the morning so the plants dry off before the hot sun hits them, although I've sprayed at all times of the day without any problem.

o

But...what Bayer product are we talking about? The liquid drenches? The Rose formulations? Tree and shrub? Insect, mite and disease control?

o

There are a couple different Bayer products.

My favorite is Bayer Rose & Flower Insect Killer. The ingredients are B-cyflurthrin & Imidacloprid.

Brooke

o

Same.

Nick

o

AWESOME! Thanks so much to you both!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here