Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlepeapod

First time orchids

LittlePeapod
10 years ago

I am completely new to the world of orchids and need advice for the care of my new purchases. I've always steered clear of them as they've been a world of intimidation for me, but I caved and bought 3!!! One is a teacup moth orchid and it's still in full bloom. The other 2 are oncidium orchids that are no longer in bloom, and were 1/2 off for $15 a piece, a good price I hope? The oncidiums look to be in 4" plastic pots. I made the purchases a week ago. I keep all 3 by my kitchen sink, which is a corner sink with 2 windows, a north corner and east corner window. I've put a tray of water nearby for humidity, and I intend to add pebbles to that tray and put the orchids on top, BUT I don't know how to pot or repot them? The teacup orchid's plastic pot came dropped inside a ceramic pot, so I could put that over a tray of water now.

Most of the bulbs(?) of the oncidium look plump with 1 or 2 that are plump with wrinkles? I have no clue as to the care of these 3 plants. How do I water them? I'm unsure especially since it's winter and 2 aren't blooming. What kind of care when they are in bloom or not in bloom? Can I mist them with water? Do I water from above or let them soak from below? What kind of lighting? etc. etc. etc...Thank you for any and all advice!

Comments (7)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

I'll give a few thoughts. I learned by attending the local orchid society. There may be one near you. There is too much to say in this space and I also have poor typing skills.
    In general, orchids should be planted on the potting material, not in it. The orchid is not happy if it wobbles in the pot. Don't keep turning the pot. The orchid knows where the light source. Let it decide.

THERE IS NO ONE WAY TO BE SUCCESSFUL GROWING ORCHIDS. People grow orchids successfully in a variety of ways. I am heavy handed with the hose. So I use a lot less sphagnum moss than others. I use a lot of lava rock and cork boards.

ORCHIDS ARE EASY BUT DIFFERENT. Their demands are usually modest but one must read and talk about the many issues. But basically study about water, air movement, food,(supplements too) temperatures, and light. Try to visualize an orchid in nature. Give yours much the same. I don't grow cold loving orchids. I live in south Florida.

KNOW THE LOCALS. Your efforts will be swayed by your climate. Mine is different than yours. I'd be lost in Kansas. But the locals know.

And there are micro climes. Move an orchid a few feet and everything could change. Maybe. It could be good to bad or bad to good, but every now and then it could matter.

Frequently but not always, orchids thrive on abuse...

Good luck but be careful. Meetings start out, "Hello, my name is shaved monkey and I'm an orcoholic"

You've been bitten.

• LittlePeapod
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whoa! Now you've put me back into the intimidation corner! ha ha ha!

Great idea! I'll look for a local orchid organization! I just hope I am able to find one.

I watered the oncidiums, and it's definitely potted in something as the pots are now heavy! I watered until water dripped out of the holes on the bottom. um...maybe that wasn't such a good idea? I was hoping that the wrinkles would flatten out and they haven't...

Thanks shaved monkey! Wish me luck! :)

10 years ago

You watered correctly. The wrinkles will stay. If you do it right the new bulbs won't be wrinkled. What is the potting material?
    Check with the AOS, (American Orchid Society) Most local societies are affiliated. Find their website to look up your local society. If it is too far get phone numbers to ask if there is any members living in your area.

• westoh Z6
    10 years ago

Keep the oncidiums in the brightest light, the phal a little less. The phal will probably outgrow the pot fairly quickly, as teacup phals are usually regular phals forced to bloom early, usually...

As far as watering, water heavily (water dripping out of bottom) when the pots/media seem dry. That is the real trick usually, correct watering of orchids. In general, once a week for windowsill orchids. If they are in spaghnum moss, its a little longer in between waterings. These orchids do like to dry out slightly between waterings to keep some air flowing around the roots.

Good luck,

Bob

• LittlePeapod
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not familiar with potting mediums. My guess is that it's spaghnum peat moss since they became heavy as I watered, with very little coming out the bottom compared to how much I poured. This makes me nervous. Too much water on their roots? I'll take a look later and maybe try to post a pic?

I moved the oncidiums to a brighter location where they will receive some full sun. Will that be alright? My house faces south, and they are now in the foyer where it stays bright all day, but as the sun moves, they will receive some direct sun in the afternoon. I left the moth orchid in the northeast corner.

We have a local orchid society! The Orchid Society of Greater Kansas City. They even have a Facebook page! I haven't had a chance to contact them, but will soon.

I don't have a green thumb. I don't kill everything, but I've not been good with high humidity plants such as ferns and caladiums, which I have killed, nor can I get flowering plants to flower. I haven't given up, yet...along with the orchids, I bought maiden hair ferns, a caladium and gerbera daisies in bloom as well as many other plants. It's winter here, and I needed some cheery plants. I wonder if I bit off more than I can chew? Lol

I hope my orchids don't die or suffer under my care! I need lots of luck! ;)

10 years ago

I think you are on the right track. Sphagnum holds the most water. So wait a week or so to add water. Plastic pots hold water longer than terra cotta pots.

There will be a lot to learn from the local society. Big benefit.

If you ate not killing a few plants you are not trying hard enough. Meaning that you are staying in an easy comfort zone and not trying outside the box. I got a lot of dog tags from plants that are gone...

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

Just a thought, I would move the oncidiums out of the moss. They have fine roots and I've found mine to rot fairly easily. A little bit is good, a lot is bad, though I'm not in as cold an area as you, maybe they need the extra humidity.

Just a note, sphagnum and peat aren't the same thing. Normally it wouldn't matter that much but I bought an orchid mix that said 'sphagnum peat moss' on it and it was more like dirt, not like sphagnum.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County