Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fxxy

Iwangara Apple Blossom

fxxy
14 years ago

Anybody know of a source for this plant????? How tall does it grow??? Thanx!!!

Comments (11)

• highjack
    14 years ago

It isn't a small plant {{gwi:148692}} The foliage is 12-14". It is an easy grower and bloomer so is very rewarding.

Sorry, I don't know a vendor but it is a fairly popular orchid.

Brooke

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

I certainly didn't have such tall spikes as Brooke, mine was shorter but long leaves. Still a good sized plant. They are still around.

{{gwi:148694}}

Jane

• highjack
    14 years ago

I found the shot of the bloom from mine {{gwi:144087}} I probably grow mine in extremely high light - more than it probably needs.

Brooke

• richardol
    14 years ago

I have four, of two different color forms. The problem being that the tags got removed and I don't know which is which. I will know shortly and be able to get flower pictures because they are in spike.

• orchid126
    14 years ago

You might try Parkide Orchids in Ottsville, PA. I bought mine there. They don't have it listed in their catalog on line, so you might ask by e-mail. Also you might try Silva Orchids in Neptune, NJ or Waldor Orchids in south Jersey, if you're looking to go local.

I agree with everyone, it's a gorgeous flower, and well worth the effort to get. The plant is about 14-16" tall and very easy to grow. I agree with Brooke in that it needs a lot of light. My leaves turned maroon in the summer, it got so much.

• missjulied
    14 years ago

I have one of these and haven't yet been able to get it to bloom. What time of year does it flower for you guys? I might try a little extra bloom booster before that time this year and see if it helps.

I keep mine in the sunniest part of my greenhouse, and the leaves are tinged red as well, but no spikes after about 3 years. :-(

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Mine bloomed in Oct/Nov. Grew mine in a W. window and grew it dry. I do not fertilize very often.

Jane

• highjack
    14 years ago

Mine blooms late winter. It grows in the largest s/h container available and gets light fertilizer after every flush.

Brooke

• orchid126
    14 years ago

Mine bloomed in late winter also. But the sheaths started in early Autumn while the plant was still outside, then they sat there all winter, dried and desolate, until one day six months later, the buds started to push through. Did I mention it likes a very tight pot?

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I just obtained mine as a rescue to rehabilitate.
    The lady who gave it to me had it in too little light I think, but the roots and new growth look relatively healthy. It is in a 5" or so clay pot and I put it in a NE window where it will get 1-2 hours of light in the morning 7:00-9:00 roughly. From there on in it's in high indirect light.
    When and how much should I water? Fertilize?

• lisa_z5wmi
    10 years ago

Mine is in bloom right now. I got it at Hausermann's in Chicago. It fills the room with a wonderful scent in the afternoon if the sun comes out. It does take quite a lot of sun and the spikes can get pretty long.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner