Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 new leaves at once?

Posted by frank325 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 13:05

Is it normal for a phal to be putting out 2 new leaves at the same time?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 new leaves at once?

I think the first leaf finished growing and its making another. It suggests the plant was stressed when starting the first leaf causing it to stop.

Jane

o

But I think the 2nd leaf down is still growing. Someone from work gave me this a few weeks ago. They had it in their office and I told them I would take it off their hands when it was done blooming if they were just going to toss it out. I have a feeling it wasn't watered very often. If that leaf is gonna stay that small, that will be quite annoying to look at.

o

the stress might have been caused from the roots dying off which is evident at the surface. which means that there could possibly be more root rot underneath where you can't see it.

possibly watered to much with a lack of fresh air flow

Gaston

o

The leaf will stay small. If you improve the growing conditions, the newest leaf will get big. You won't notice the smaller one. Gaston is correct. The roots look bad. Get some fresh orchid mix and repot the plant. Give it some fertilizer and put it near a window. The newest leaf will grow and you might get flowers this winter.

Jane

o

I used to have a phal that would partially grow a leaf, then start on a second, and both leaves grew to full size. The plant was not stressed, and did this in multiple years. I don't know if this will happen to yours, just saying that it could be fine. Hope for the best!

o

I already repotted. I cut some bad roots. The stuff on top I just didn't end up cutting off... I guess I should have. I'm used to aerial roots not looking fabulous, but yes, those do look pretty dead and dried up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here