Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just Add Ice - fraudulent advertising

Posted by whitecat8 z4 MN (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 13:35

To: ___________
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:55:18 PM
Subject: RE: You appear to endorse the Just Add Ice Orchids' watering method

The conservatory, nor me personally is endorsing JAI orchids. They obviously took a quote out of context and are using it without my authorization. Nobody asked us, CERTAINLY THEY ARE NOT PAYING US. I am very busy, but will try to contact them about removing this. I will also see if anybody at ODU in a legal department can contact them

As for you. First, thank you for bringing this to my attention. Second feel free to call and/or write them and let them know that I, nor the Kaplan Orchid Conservatory recommend watering orchids with ice cubes.
Regards,
Steve

Relevant quotes from the JAI site:
Orchid Care Tips from an Orchid Conservatory
Posted by Just Add Ice Orchids... It's Just That Simple. on Tue, Mar 02, 2010

Steve Urick, a horticulturist at the Arthur and Phyllis Kaplan Orchid Conservatory at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia, offered tips for new orchid enthusiasts. He should know, too - he takes care of 400 species of orchids among more than 1,500 plants - in addition to the almost 2,000 he keeps at home, according to The Deseret News....

Moisture: Let an orchid get almost dry before watering it. Sit pots on trays of pebbles/water to provide extra humidity during winter. TEXT ADDED by JAI & attributed to Urick: "For optimal watering, use 3 ice cubes a week for a perfectly measures amount of water."

.... Moisture: Let an orchid get almost dry before watering it TEXT DELETED by JAI when quoting Urick; no indication they've deleted text: "thoroughly and then letting it drain completely." Sit pots on trays of pebbles/water to provide humidity during winter.

This is rotten. I'm contacting the ODU's legal department.

Whitecat8

Here is a link that might be useful: Fraudulent ad - Just Add Ice Orchids

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just Add Ice - fraudulent advertising

So this will move down the list -

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here