Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

Just Add Ice - fraudulent advertising

whitecat8
13 years ago

To: ___________

Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:55:18 PM

Subject: RE: You appear to endorse the Just Add Ice Orchids' watering method

The conservatory, nor me personally is endorsing JAI orchids. They obviously took a quote out of context and are using it without my authorization. Nobody asked us, CERTAINLY THEY ARE NOT PAYING US. I am very busy, but will try to contact them about removing this. I will also see if anybody at ODU in a legal department can contact them

As for you. First, thank you for bringing this to my attention. Second feel free to call and/or write them and let them know that I, nor the Kaplan Orchid Conservatory recommend watering orchids with ice cubes.

Regards,

Steve

Relevant quotes from the JAI site:

Orchid Care Tips from an Orchid Conservatory

Posted by Just Add Ice Orchids... It's Just That Simple. on Tue, Mar 02, 2010

Steve Urick, a horticulturist at the Arthur and Phyllis Kaplan Orchid Conservatory at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia, offered tips for new orchid enthusiasts. He should know, too - he takes care of 400 species of orchids among more than 1,500 plants - in addition to the almost 2,000 he keeps at home, according to The Deseret News....

Moisture: Let an orchid get almost dry before watering it. Sit pots on trays of pebbles/water to provide extra humidity during winter. TEXT ADDED by JAI & attributed to Urick: "For optimal watering, use 3 ice cubes a week for a perfectly measures amount of water."

.... Moisture: Let an orchid get almost dry before watering it TEXT DELETED by JAI when quoting Urick; no indication they've deleted text: "thoroughly and then letting it drain completely." Sit pots on trays of pebbles/water to provide humidity during winter.

This is rotten. I'm contacting the ODU's legal department.

Whitecat8

Here is a link that might be useful: Fraudulent ad - Just Add Ice Orchids

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?